Mechanical Walking Machine Progect

Now for something completely different. Im building a mechanical walking machine it will be like an emu/ostrich style bird with all the mecanical guts in its body. Pulling a wagon with the rider. The wagon will serve to stabilize the 2 leged bird. Iv always wanted to build a 4 legged animal to ride but making that work and be stable and turn just gets too complicated. Recently a saw a few utube videos that gave me a solid plan. Im going to use a hf 79cc because of its low profile rather than the briggs. and ill probrobly put the gas tank up in the neck. iv got a peerless 5 speed for speed control. Ill probrobly make the birds tail the shifter and have only a throttle control on the wagon. Im going to try to use a centrifical clutch. The only downside to this is itll have to run a higher rpm rather than quietly puttering along. I will leave room for a belt tensioner setup if it doesnt work out. but id prefer the simplicity of the chain setup. I just took measurements of the computer screen for the legs and today i made a cardboard template to finalize the measurements for the best range of motion. The steering will be by rope but itll be geared down to dampen the side to side pulling of the legs. im also going to make the head turn side to side with the steering. The body will be bolted together like a clamshell so i can get to the inards. Its going to be quite the progect but its uniqueness should keep me intrested. Im going to pick up an engine tomorrow and get started on the body.

Range of motion test video>

Here is the utube video of the leg design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNh8vvIkOJY&index=26&list=WL

Last edited:

bandit 40

Holy crap really! Dude your creativity is off the hook do you ever give that brain of yours a rest ? :laugh:. Subscribed

Last edited:
Thanks guys :) The mechanicals arnt arnt all that complicated but its still going to take a ton of thought and fabrication to make it all from scratch and cool to look at. Im sure itll go quick once i get the base going

lol I get that alot :) I got the new engine today and thought about the steering gears and kinda picked out some thatll work. Im going to have the neck rotate on that same shaft as the steering gear and reigns pulley is mounted. Iv got to get some steel and bearings before i go much farther on this so ill probrobly jump back to my scooter progect for a bit. But it should work well my plan is a good one

The handle came with the engine it must have been a generator or pump perhaps. Its very handy for sure.
Today I got some steel for the perimeter im using 3/16x1" bar stock itll bolt together like a clamshell. I already bent it around the body so I should be making some progess soon on the engine cradle

Its going well I got the front lower half of the body going so the motor mount is in place. Now Im trying to figure out the best gear ratio before i mount the trans and jackshaft. So I was pretty sure that 66t sprocket i had on the trans input was way too much. I think the ideal ratio would be about 4:1 like on my mini tractor. So I have a 40t on one of my 4 wheelers so i took that off and ill make a homemade copy of it for the quad and use the good one on the walking machine. Im going to leave enough room to go bigger on all shafts incase i have to slow it down. but usually with a tranny i find they need to be geared up because like a car tranny all the lower gears are under 1:1 But with legs instead of wheels its hard to say whats ideal.

I'm not surprised by your builds anymore Bryan :laugh: .............but I am always impressed!!!! :thumbsup: Will be watching and waiting for updates!!

Cool project it looks fairly straight forward , should work great

If it was me I would put a couple of sexy mannequin legs on it in black fishnets lol

Theres not much to show yet but heres a few pics. I got the back axle bearings today so i can keep going now and mount the tranny and jackshaft. The jackshaft mounts have me scratching my head a bit Im having a little trouble thinking of a clean way to mount it. I keep telling myself it doesnt have to be perfect just has to work and look cool. So today i made a duplicate of that 40t sprocket it came out really good. i just clamped them together and followerd the profile with a grinder and a thin cutoff wheel. I ran out of oxygen for my torches so i need to get some more before i can do any more bending.