Mickey Bike. Penny's

When i was about 8.... 60 now my Dad bought me a Mickey Thompson Mini Bike from J.C.Penny's i can remember it like it was today..It was in the front window 159.50$ Orange with a white 3 hp briggs Mickey Bike on chain guard with patina that was like freckles in the aluminum GUARD . Never seen before except the Mickey guard from ebay...Had the bike decal on front no badge high bars .Long coils on forks rods threw the top......DOES ANYONE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF THIS OR HAVE AD. It might have been a one off sale .Like the Bonanza Typhoon. Mini cycle. MARK. 412-277-5803. LOOKING TO BUY ONE.

Any chance of finding a front decal?? I was going to free hand copy it then clear decal over it to make it look orginal. Thanks for everyone's Help !!!

Last edited:
Tried to buy the three that was for sale ..Settled on price but person was not very cooperative did not get a good feel so i did not push it. Still looking!

So iam not Crazy.....They did. At the time it was 159.50....Thanks so much.....Still looking would like to have one like Penny's sold...Looking.. Great......My came with the early. Good year tires. 1958-1962. Crazy but it did both does not make sense...

Last edited:

markus

The last versions of them were the ones with long spring forks, they had updated the frame on those as well....which is what KOL based the "aggie 97" bikes off of too.

Seen a couple of the orange ones pop up on here in that configuration, but with a blank clutch guard and no decal present. Only one I have ever seen with the decal was a roller that popped up that was the blue/green color (I am color blind-I used a light metallic blue on mine) that I believe is or was somewhere in the PNW area from what I remember. That was the one I based my mickey off of as It was built from pieces.

It does appear that when KOL took over the bike, the "genuine mickey" badges were dropped from the bike. Do you remember the exact year you got it? that would actually be of some help, That Penney's catalog shot is the newest literature I have ever been able to come across, I think it was sometime into 1969 IIRC and it still shows the 2nd generation style frame. Interesting thing is Montgomery wards ended up as the seller for the Aggie bikes and KOL made Karts so they may have got the mickeys too if they went past 1970.

Heres a pic of that OG roller that popped up on here years ago (top photo) and the one I built up from a junkyard frame and forks I pulled out of GA on the bottom

thanks for the nice words everyone.

this is just a trial decal, the good, I made it myself on the computer, the bad it looks like someone made it on their computer :laugh:

this has been a bitch, I have spent hours tracing and drawing the mickey head, cutting and pasting, even now I have another idea to make it better so I'm gonna redo it again I think :doah: the other problem I have I still will probably have to take it all to a sign shop, the only clear film I have is actually like a
re-positionable film so its not a permanent stick, good for testing though I guess.
I did get my image corrected and much more accurate, but have not done another run of decals as the shop that did the first set for me closed its doors so I gotta get with another sign shop.

The one on the left is my 2nd/better version, looks a lot better when an actual graphic artist gets involved :laugh:

Thanks. I want to say 1969 because my Dad had a 1969 Fury Wagon...Nice job on decal !! Thanks for all info .You do put alot of time in your Hobby it shows Big Time Vast Actuate Knowledge in many areas...Your the Wizard.

CarPlayLB

[MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] I can cut vinyl stickers if you have a digital file! Always willing to cut for OldMiniBikes peeps!

The last versions of them were the ones with long spring forks, they had updated the frame on those as well....which is what KOL based the "aggie 97" bikes off of too.

Seen a couple of the orange ones pop up on here in that configuration, but with a blank clutch guard and no decal present. Only one I have ever seen with the decal was a roller that popped up that was the blue/green color (I am color blind-I used a light metallic blue on mine) that I believe is or was somewhere in the PNW area from what I remember. That was the one I based my mickey off of as It was built from pieces.

It does appear that when KOL took over the bike, the "genuine mickey" badges were dropped from the bike. Do you remember the exact year you got it? that would actually be of some help, That Penney's catalog shot is the newest literature I have ever been able to come across, I think it was sometime into 1969 IIRC and it still shows the 2nd generation style frame. Interesting thing is Montgomery wards ended up as the seller for the Aggie bikes and KOL made Karts so they may have got the mickeys too if they went past 1970.

Heres a pic of that OG roller that popped up on here years ago (top photo) and the one I built up from a junkyard frame and forks I pulled out of GA on the bottom

I did get my image corrected and much more accurate, but have not done another run of decals as the shop that did the first set for me closed its doors so I gotta get with another sign shop.

The one on the left is my 2nd/better version, looks a lot better when an actual graphic artist gets involved :laugh:

If you make anymore decals i will buy two. Thanks Mark 412-277-5803