Anything Goes! Mini Snowmobile

Mini Snowmobile

• yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This will be a mini snowmobile. Im building it with a differential for now If i need a solid axle i can always swap it out later. I was going to use a honda gc engine but i think the predator will work better since it is short i can go over it with the steering shaft better. Also a torque converter is on the way. I was hopeing to use one from one of my bikes and swap a clutch onto it but thats not going to work out so I ordered a new one. I have a front axle on another project i will harvest. And im going to make it so that i can swap wheels onto the front for when there is no snow. Its not going to have a rear suspension i will just make the seat nice and thick. I think the tracks should help smooth out the bumps anyway. Maybe in the front I dont know yet.

Attachments

I rebuilt the tracks to get them ready to use again. I harvested them from my old track bike as well as the engine. The way the tracks work I figured out i actually had them assembled wrong. The drive side with the chain is supposed to be in the front and the bogie wheel is supposed to be in the back to adjust the track tension. The chain side stays solid non adjustable. It never really effected anything but now i put new chains on and couldnt get the track tight enough. I debated using a smaller drive sprocket but that would slow down my speed i think too much. It was slow enough with the clutch now im using a torque converter i dont want it any slower. Though im using a smaller sprocket now on the differential I think with this combination i will get the speed im going for. Again I can always change gearing later quite easily

This will be a mini snowmobile. Im building it with a differential for now If i need a solid axle i can always swap it out later. I was going to use a honda gc engine but i think the predator will work better since it is short i can go over it with the steering shaft better. Also a torque converter is on the way. I was hopeing to use one from one of my bikes and swap a clutch onto it but thats not going to work out so I ordered a new one. I have a front axle on another project i will harvest. And im going to make it so that i can swap wheels onto the front for when there is no snow. Its not going to have a rear suspension i will just make the seat nice and thick. I think the tracks should help smooth out the bumps anyway. Maybe in the front I dont know yet.
This gon be a good one folks:p

Hent

You always get my interest. Can't wait to see it.

I have the same parts sans a different differential as you and just never got around to doing it. Maybe we can do a joint build swapping ideas?
I know the front of the tracks must be supported to prevent excessive up/down movement.
I was toying with a suspension as well.My intention was a mini-half-track for off road climbing.

I’ve been back and forth all winter with an idea for a similar build. If only could get my hands on a set of tracks, I’d be more than happy to figure out a way to make this work. Any idea where I could get my hands on reasonably priced tracks? I’ve looked for used tracked snowblowers on the usual Craigslist, Facebook, etc., but they aren’t very common in the Chicago area, and would have to travel travel some distance to Michigan or Wisconsin. Open to any ideas/suggestions. TIA!

Thanks guys! This build is going to go pretty quick I think. Iv already got the front end taken care of I cut it off of an old project my Wheelie Horse tractor with the v twin . So two old projects have sacrificed themselves for this one. Iv only found a few sets of tracks myself and one set i sold to rapidrob :) Honestly i dont think they would last long in the rocky desert. The plastic drive wheels would get beat up pretty quick they work better in the snow with an even contact patch. And they dont work in the mud at all the rollers just slip on the rubber and they get all bound up. I know ed moore got a snowblower with them on it last winter I dont know if he still has it but he didnt seem to intrested in using them. He is on youtube.

I never thought about the plastic rollers.
I had turned the tracks into a remote controlled armored target that my club used for a few years. We then moved onto real rail-road tracks instead.
So the tracks are in the garage waiting.

Since it sounds like plastic rollers won’t be durable for any length of time, would it be possible to have metal rollers fabricated with the same dimension/specs? Between CNC and 3D printing, I’d have to imagine it wouldn’t be excessively expensive compared to a few years ago

yeah i thought of that it looks easy to do. But i wouldnt do it until the plastic rollers fail. they might hold up for longer than youd think. I see the grind hard plumbing guys on utube just built a kart with tracks they said they got them from alibaba

I was seriously considering just taking the plunge and ordering one of the sets from alibaba, but it's hard to justify the cost after shipping. Ariens makes a snowblower conversion kit for less money(and I would assume significantly higher quality), I think they're around the $500 mark. The kit wouldn't come with skis, but that's the easiest and cheapest part of the build anyway. You can also buy the Ariens track parts individually, which is definitely more appealing than having to order entire kit from China again.

Well heres what iv got sofar. As you can see im using parts of the frame and front axle from my wheel horse tractor project. The whole thing is made from scratch. I added one spring to the pack in front to raise it up. Now it is quite stiff but still allows it to pivot some which was my main goal. I started off with a short wheelbase but there was no room for my feet with the tires. I could go shorter with just skis but it looks so good with the tires i may not even build skis for it. I remembered i had an old motorcycle fairing in the attic so i will use it for the shroud. Its pretty cracked up but i guess i can melt it back together. Im having trouble fitting my legs with the handlebars where i want them and using this fairing but i think i can make it work. This is why i build everything from scratch. Its hard to use stuff that doesnt really fit.

Attachments

That is going to be real sweet when done, mine would be very utilitarian looking, but built like a tank.
Let us know what gearing/ drive cogs you end up with. The tracks are geared very low as I found out.
What front end are using?