Modding a Honda clone Engine??

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
lil Ike, Home Alone, Drew, and my Avatar bike are the fastest gasoline minibikes in the alley. We all run the 1.2 ratio rockers and small aftermarket carbs. Drew runs a PZ22 carb (22mm) from me, and the others are tillotson gas carbs. All have the timing advanced, with ported small chamber heads. We all are runing stock size valves, and a stock cam. All of these bikes are pretty close between 66-68mph.

I'd love to mod this motor but I havent a clue where to get any of these parts.

Is the pz22 carb to small for a 6.5 hp engine?
Where do you get the rockers? How do you advance the timing?

Where do you get the tillotson carb? What Size is it? Any other mods to run it?

School us man!!

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I sale the 22mm carb, intake, rockers, and I even have a Zama/tillotson carb.

The 22mm carb works perfect on the 6.5hp version clone. That's what most of the kids run, because they get them from me. I get the rockers from a stock class cheater I can't name. But they make your motor sound a bit radical. They really help being that Hondas, and clones only have a .227" max cam lift. Which is way smaller then the briggs 6.5hp .255" lift.

I can tell you how to advance the timing, but if you don't have the correct tools you might screw it up. You can always buy a offset key that has already been cut. NR-Racing sells a lot of parts, but there extremely pricey.

You can get the tillotson carbs brand new from E.C. but they are a bit expensive. Usually for the carb, intake, and velocity stack it's around $160. Two models work great HL357A, and HL334wx. It's best to find one used, or new at a deal. The most expensive thing you will need is a billet rod for safety.

The Walbro PZ slider is a nice carb- around $100. I bought a new (NOS) 26mm Mikuni slider off ebay with the mounting flange cast in. I made a cable- thing works FANTASTIC on my 8hp Flathead Tecumseh. 2 years ago I bought a brand new 6.5 hp briggs Intek Pro OHV engine. Got a heck of a deal on it. I never ran it but turned around and sold it to a coworker who was building a barstool racer. It would fall on its face due to the "emissions" carb. He bought a new Walbro PZ slider carb and adapter (carb used on a Briggs Raptors)- $100 for carb, $10 for adapter. He claims the engine runs like a complete different engine. Very very fast. For what its worth I have a 6.5hp JiangDonger engine on my daughters TrailBronc. Runs real strong! I was pleased that the carb does not starve the motor as the Briggs Intek did AND a 5hp Honda GC residential engine I owned did as well.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The PZ22 slide carb your talking about is used on the Animal. That's the one I sell for $60, plus $10 for the intake brand new. It comes factory on the Animal, but works well on a lot of small motors. This is the Animal with the carb and intake.

anyone here ever try the honda gx390 carb on a gx200? I have one I picked up but dnt have a adaptdr yet. I am wondering if its worth the trouble of buying the manifold or not?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
That adapter is pretty expensive. Plus there is more power with the aftermarket carbs. But if you have to run real Honda OEM parts the 390 carb is the way to go.

65ShelbyClone

How about this Keihin PE I have off of an XR600......about 38mm. :001_tongue:

Probably a good performance carb for a built GX390. It will easily support 40-45hp.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have a nice billet tillotson carb I just got for sale on my site. It should work great on a mild motor. It measure the same size as the tillotson I have on my avatar minibike.

i have one of those 6.5 clones on a doodle bug its fast but i need more speed so i added a header now i want to go to a bigger carb could you give me info on how to order one from you and adapter

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
This is a old post.
I don't really sale those small carbs any more.

Now you can find a nice carb and intake setup on ebay for pretty cheap.

i dont know what size to look for,on ebay thats why i wanted to order one from you. Any advice you give would be a great help, i want to run like you guys in da allley

Motra

FYI - The Honda GX390 engine that comes with a cyclone air filter has a larger venturi carburetor than the GX390 with the standard air filter assembly.