Modified cat build

I got this cat hustler frame from the woods and i made a back and a seat and rode it for a while but used the engine on my buddys gocart so it sat for a while. Now i want a nice rideable offroad mini so im fixing this one up.
It had a long rake ont he forks which made it awkward so i cut about 5 inches off and pulled the rake in. Im using a seat and shocks from an old jap motorcycle just gotta build to suit. I got a new used tire from an old snowblower in the front im replacing the original because its like a slick. Im going to use a tourque converter i also got from a junk yard gocart. Iv got to raise the engine up a half inch or so to clear the pulley because the torque converter cant be clocked any farther or itll hit the tank. Iv also got to move the engine mount farther forward. ill probrobly make a scrub brake for it. I got the front end basicly done today just didnt take any updated pics. The first pic is how i ran it before. Second pic is this morning :weld:

the rake is at 20 degrees. not sure what the norm is but its welded solid now. Looking through mini pictures i have i see many that look steeper than mine. got alot done today the front end welded up and shock mounts made and seat done. also cut off the engine mount and foot pegs. Iv got to either change the rear sprocket or the torque converter sprocket because they are #35 an #41. Id rather go with the 41. iv got to look through my shed for a sprocket that might fit the tourqe converter

I got alot done the past few days. Got a #35 sprocket for the back to match the torque converter. then i was able to move the engine plate forward. Then i made the torque converter cover from an old table saw base nice and thick and came out awesome too. Then i was able to position the foot pegs and weld them on. Then i made the scrub brake pedal and scrub brake. Then i made the rear fender becaus ethe old one wasnt gonna cut it. I bent a piece of conduit and sliced it 3 ways for the sides and just bent a center section from that old table saw base and welded the 3 together. Then i tore it all down and began painting stuff. Im about to recover the seat maby tomorrow night. You can see the green painted fork parts in the pic it looks better in person :thumbsup:

delray

looks like some jeep paint left over:thumbsup: is the painting getting better for you............:scooter:looking good:smile:

nope its just duplicolor metalcast spray paint. I might do my tracked 2x2 with it when thats done. I had sucess with my jeep paint though. I found out the paint place i got my paint from can actually fill spray cans with whatever paint you got. And its pretty cheap too. 13$ for a pint fills 4 cans and 5$ a can to refill. So i got that and touched up the bad spots and it looks great i was so releived. Its gonna make it so easy to fix up scratches and dings too. :thumbsup: I still gotta fix up the top and one door then its carpet, belts and seats and its done.

That is looking real nice, I like the bobber look of it. I would have never been able to bring myself to do that to a Cat, but now I may have to double think my future Duster MX build.

delray

i like to get a cj5 with full or half steel cab someday to restore and mount a small BOSS v-plow unit on it and use it for plowing my drive way and around my future shop,but still have my k5 blazer with my 8.5ft wide plow mount on it and all my neighbors love me in the winter. blazer is great for plowing. man a cj5 with a small v-plow:thumbsup: you could turn on a dime with that:thumbsup:

how are you coming with the 2x2:thumbsup:.......:scooter:

Motra

i like to get a cj5 with full or half steel cab someday to restore
There's a late 60s CJ5 with the Dauntless V6 and a full hard top collecting dust in an old busted up shed right around the corner from me but the guy doesn't want to get rid of it. I was hoping he'd be happy to see me drag it out of there but no such luck. Nice Cat bytheway, don't mean to turn this into a CJ5 forum!

delray

thats ok motra:thumbsup: jeep2003 likes his jeeps
here would be a nice project. don't really see them around anymore.
i can remember my friends day buying one of these new. with levi seats:thumbsup:
1978 Jeep CJ7

I dont care much for the amc and newer jeeps. of corse if i owned one i might say otherwise. I love finding those levi seats in the junk yard. Last time i got a batch of those buttons i sold 6 of em for 70$ :thumbsup: Iv got a plow for it too but im not going to put it back on yet. Maby next year. Its a beast it wont be easy on the suspention. Like you said maby ill find a plastic one. I havnt touched the trak bike since i got the jeep its in a pile in the back of the garage. Once the cat is done ill probrobly bring in the jeep top and when thats done ill start again on the 2x2. iv also got some work to do on the porsche but that shouldnt take long. I dunno if you saw my jeep build page Motra :smile: > Make room we got a fresh one :) - Early CJ5.com > Forums

Got the seat recovered and the front end all painted up and assembled. Also got the frame grinded down and stripped and primed. Iv got to go over it with filler in some spots then its paint. I just gotta paint the back wheel and i can put the bike back together. Should be nearly done by the end of the weekend. :thumbsup:

delray

colors are looking good:thumbsup: i mount a 5hp briggs with a torque converter,10%overdrive and that bike flys. i can't keep it straight for the first 5ft+ it has so much power when you hammer on it from a died stop:thumbsup:
i think i know a good place to mount that bike on? on back of a 67 jeep:thumbsup:

Got it done and rode it today alls i need is a muffler :thumbsup: It was hard to tell how it rode with 6 inches of snow and ice though. Ill have to take some pics. I cant enter it for mini of the month this time around cus i already entered my chopper. And i guess i cant really enter that anymore cus i stole the engine off it :smile: Also im thinking about puting a sticker on the front of the bars where the original one was. Anybody know where i can get an original repro?