mrpat's 2016 OldMiniBikes Build Off - Vintage Class - Broncco TX2

Big shout out to Iron Honky! I received my rear rim and tire in the mail today for this bike.

This pic also shows the shined up handlebars. Didn't do too bad. Used to be all rusty.

Here is a before and after on the "new" rear rim. Took it out to the blast cabinet but used walnut shells so I don't ruin the aluminum. Now both front and rear rims are ready for new bearings!

Since we have a paint booth at work, I was able to paint one of the fenders just to see if I like it or not. I think I like it, so I will get everything else prepped and ready!

I am also debating on making a new clutch cover using the old one as a template. There are just too many imperfections on the "old" one.

Last night I worked on removing the flywheel from the engine. What a bugger that was. I used a steering wheel puller, the one with the 3 holes in it so I can thread it into the 3 holes in the flywheel. It was on there pretty good, but eventually came off. I thought it was going to pull the threads out of the flywheel!

Has anyone had any good luck with converting this old HS35 to a solid state ignition? I was thinking about ordering a Tecumseh Mega Fire module because I don't really want to take the flywheel off again once it is back together. :wink:

Last night I worked on removing the flywheel from the engine. What a bugger that was. I used a steering wheel puller, the one with the 3 holes in it so I can thread it into the 3 holes in the flywheel. It was on there pretty good, but eventually came off. I thought it was going to pull the threads out of the flywheel!

Has anyone had any good luck with converting this old HS35 to a solid state ignition? I was thinking about ordering a Tecumseh Mega Fire module because I don't really want to take the flywheel off again once it is back together. :wink:
CarPlayLB or Johnny Tillotson are probably your best resources. As I understand it from Eric, the new style coil doesn't fit with shroud. I wanted to put an old style shroud on my H35 for the ARCO and I couldn't do it which is why the ARCO went resto-mod.

CarPlayLB or Johnny Tillotson are probably your best resources. As I understand it from Eric, the new style coil doesn't fit with shroud. I wanted to put an old style shroud on my H35 for the ARCO and I couldn't do it which is why the ARCO went resto-mod.
This ignition module is supposed to do away with the points and condenser, but still use your coil. It has good reviews on the smokestak forum but didn't know if anyone here has used it.

Mega Fire Ii Ignition Module UNIVERSAL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OK9ZFG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_lT-Uwb2F0RR65

I now have the engine disassembled and ready for cleanup and then paint. The bore looks smooth and clean with no scoring whatsoever. A little hone in the cylinder, lap the valves, and we should be good to go. The plan is to blast everything in the blast cabinet with the walnut shells in it.

Got some parts in from OldMiniBikes warehouse for it too. A big shout out to owend for sending me some much needed governor parts. I still need to purchase the 2 oil seals.

Dosent really explain how to install. Wonder if it comes with instructions.
I also saw on another web site (jacks-small-engines). I couldn't find it on OldMiniBikes and it shows how to install it. The thing is only the size of a quarter and it looks like it would fit in the area where the points and condenser go.

This ignition module is supposed to do away with the points and condenser, but still use your coil. It has good reviews on the smokestak forum but didn't know if anyone here has used it.

Mega Fire Ii Ignition Module UNIVERSAL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OK9ZFG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_lT-Uwb2F0RR65
Hadn't heard of this before. Looks like it's an easy install and probably doesn't need to go behind the flywheel if you can find space in the shroud or hide it near the gas tank. Reviews seemed positive. :thumbsup: