mrpat's 2016 OldMiniBikes Build Off - Vintage Class - Broncco TX2

buckeye

In a nut shell this is what I did.

Half gallon of white vinegar with a cup of sugar and a cup of kosher salt dissolved.

Went on ebay and for 8 bucks shipped I got some zinc bullions.

Connected the zinc with copper wire and hung them over the side of the small bucket of vinegar solution on the outside edges.

Hang the part to be plated in the middle

Used an old cell phone charger and hooked the negative to the part and the positive to the zinc.

15 minutes later, use a wire brush on the part and do it a second time.

That's it!

Now prepping the part is the most important part. Needs to be clean of grease, oil, rust, etc. Sandpaper, file, sandblast.

Thanks Pat.

Got the brake lever assembly cleaned and polished. Did the best I could with the 45 year old red plastic lever cover. Repainted the aluminum handle bar mount.

Next is the throttle and grips. Same treatment to that.

Pat what are you thinking of using to clean the grips, lever cover looks good. Cool build.
Scott
Thanks for the comment Scott. I found this stuff called Washing soda, it is a powder made by Arm and Hammer (probably others too) a big box for 4 bucks. Used a mason jar with a couple tablespoons and hot water and let it soak. Then used a toothbrush. It actually made the rubber pliable and the water was brown when done. Does a great job.

markus

Got the brake lever assembly cleaned and polished. Did the best I could with the 45 year old red plastic lever cover. Repainted the aluminum handle bar mount.

Next is the throttle and grips. Same treatment to that.
The frame plugs on those are colored too sometimes and may match the red handle cover. I found a set I had that were painted over to be green on one had before.

Is the attached pic the same grip? I cant tell in your pic if it has the small ribs inside the waffle, it is coming off a Domino side pull throttle (not a CiTe) but it probably off either a Benelli or Broncco. If it is and you end up needing it let me know, Its coming off the shaft and getting tossed or just getting throw in a "parts lot" that I will sell later. Only damge is the one little nicked area on the inner flare seen in the pic

Attachments

Hey Markus, I will take a close up pic when I get home. I do have the little plastic caps for the front of the tubes and they are red as well. I think my grips will end up ok once they're cleaned up.

markus

Sweet, they are Red :thumbsup: They cleaned up nice too! That means all I gotta do is slice that one I have off the trottle instead of breaking out the air gun :laugh:

Chain adjusters were shot. One was broken and the other was bent and starting to crack at the bend. I figured I would make a couple new ones at work today. Going to drill holes and zinc plate these things, bit here's how they look today.

Thanks guys. I was able to finish these things up this morning. Went out in the garage (brrrrrr) and drilled my holes. Then cleaned them up and zinc plated them. I think they turned out pretty decent. Really shiny after 2 dips.