MX Wheel broken bolts help.

Trying to get this MX wheel apart. 2 of the 3 bolts snapped right off.:doah: I had them soaking in PB blaster for a week.:cursing: How can I get those bolts out? Drill?? Thanks for any help.

capguncowboy

I don't think PB blaster will help with steel on aluminum. I had this issue on a 2-piece rim and ended up drilling it out. Started out with a tiny bit in the center of the broken bolt and used slightly larger bits until the threads fell out.

I use a 3/16" end mill in a drill press and plunge through the threaded side. It should cut close enough to the minor diameter to where you can run a tap through and clean the threads out.

Actually I have had very good results with the PB blaster on these wheels. Unless I was just lucky.:laugh: The bolts was really rusty. At first I thought is was loosing right up.:laugh: Will that work with drilling it like that on these wheels? The wheels are threaded.:eek:ut:

CarPlayLB

Break the others off and get the wheel apart! It will be much easier to work on the halves! Once the wheels are apart you may have some threads sticking up that you can weld a nut onto. Then you can turn them out. The heat from welding will help loosen things up too!

If you wind up mucking up the threads, don't worry. You can put a "heli-coil" in easily! Good luck!

Good idea but they broke off flush with the threaded rim.:doah: I did get one half of rim off the tire. Took me 3 hours.:laugh: That tire was really fused on the rim. I tried cutting the tire off on rims like this before and that wasn't so easy either. My arms will be sore for a week. :laugh: So now this is 3 projects I am stuck on. Still can't get the clutch off the lil indian, can't get the flywheel off the Rupp.:mad:

CarPlayLB

If they broke off flush, start drilling! If possible, try to grind the top of the broken bolt so it is smooth. That will allow you to start drilling without the bit wandering. Start with a smaller bit and work your way up like CapGun says!

You are down to drills and possible helicoils, as stated. Begin with new, small, quality drill bits and try your best to keep everything centered and inline with the hole. Work your way up with larger bits. In the future, a oxy/acetylene torch heat on the aluminum will help a good deal. I suppose one of those propane deals would work too.

In my toolbox, I have a small cup with my "trophies" from this type of activity. After all that work, I'm not going to just toss them.