My free mini bike story. Picked up today

I picked this gem today in a barn right outside my hometown. A couple weeks before Christmas my dad told me he saw this mini bike in a barn that is rented for storage by the company he works for. I called the guy that owns the barn and it turns out the bike is owned by his brother so he told me I had to talk to him. I finally got a hold of the guy today. Now I had not seen the bike at this point but he gave me the go ahead to go check it out and told her was willing to part with it. I pulled up to a 300ft long former hog barn full of heavy equipment, walked all the way to the other end holding my phone as a flashlight in the dark to find this bike leaning against the wall where it appears to have resided for at least a couple decades. I rolled it to the other end loaded it up and headed back to town to make a deal with the owner. When I got to the guys house a 75-ish year old man came to the door and asked "well did you pick it up"? I told him it was in the back of my truck and I just needed to know what he wanted for it. We talked briefly about my interest in old mini bikes and how I enjoy the process of restoring them. He looked at me and said " well if that's what your going to do with it then you can have it " I didn't know what to say. I offered him money and he refused. So I guess I have to restore it. '69 Rupp chopper. It looks like it's all there, chain guard, H25 with side tank. Good turbine wheels. The single down tube has been rewelded since they all broke and its got a very mild case of high speed forks like almost every scrub brake bike. I'm super excited about this score. Thanks for looking.

Chad

capguncowboy

Great find on a fairly difficult bike to find, especially being that complete! I can't see anything incorrect on it except the footpeg covers

Love that kind. You never know what youre getting into with a lead like that. But youre dad surely knows what youre after so that helps. They sure dont often come out looking as good as that one though. Good score

Love that kind. You never know what youre getting into with a lead like that. But youre dad surely knows what youre after so that helps. They sure dont often come out looking as good as that one though. Good score
Yeah my dad knows nothing about mini bikes other than the fact that I like them. It had been driving me crazy knowing there was a bike in a barn and not being able to get ahold of the guy for 3 weeks to see what it was. I was quite surprised when I saw it.

You did good, but you really do have to restore it now to remain in the good favor of the minibike sprits and to be a man of your word which is a good thing to be. As a long time minibike enthusiast I would not have slept till I got it, I would imagine it was much the same for you being a young man. You seem to have nothing much missing which for that particular bike with the shroud mount tank is very good, that clutch cover/chain guard is a prize too and having both saves you actual hundreds in resto costs.

I don't know you but am proud of you for planning to restore this iconic minibike like you promised, and you are in the right place to get all the help you need and more so kick it into gear and start a build thread so we can watch it come together.:thumbsup:

1stBxMopar

Just Awesome!! The bike and the story! I agree with what "2SlickNick" said, do the man the honor of showing it to him when its done...

You did good, but you really do have to restore it now to remain in the good favor of the minibike sprits and to be a man of your word which is a good thing to be. As a long time minibike enthusiast I would not have slept till I got it, I would imagine it was much the same for you being a young man. You seem to have nothing much missing which for that particular bike with the shroud mount tank is very good, that clutch cover/chain guard is a prize too and having both saves you actual hundreds in resto costs.

I don't know you but am proud of you for planning to restore this iconic minibike like you promised, and you are in the right place to get all the help you need and more so kick it into gear and start a build thread so we can watch it come together.:thumbsup:
I will properly restore it... Right after I get my speedway scorpion finished up. It's almost done if you have seen that build thread. Ok maybe I'll start working on it sooner than later but this is how one gets multiple unfinished projects. And I do plan on bringing it by to show the when finished.

I messed around a little with this bike tonight. I had it running for about 15 minutes but the carb is worn out. The throttle plate is no longer connected to the shaft and there's a ton of play. All things considered it did run very well and didn't smoke at all. I also found that the clutch bell sprocket is missing most of its teeth and the chain guard has a small crack in it that will need to be fixed. These issues are all pretty minor. I think it's time to start a build thread and get to work on it.