New Build "Streeter"

tripp

Well I'm working on a new build. This is a "one off" That I started last weekend. I had to wait on my 3" radius dies for my bender before I could start the frame.

Day 1: I was able to bend and fab the frame in about 2.5 hrs. Installed the down tube and the rear axle brackets. I used 7/8" x .095 DOM tubing. For the down tube I use 1"x .095 DOM so I can install a bushing that slip fits into the tube. Waiting on Parts. Astro Wheels, tires, cables, ect.
2.5 hrs

Day 2: Began fabbing the fork assembly and triple clamp. I used the 7/8 DOM for the fork tubes and 2 pieces of 3/16 x 1.5" x 7" plate which I cut from a larger sheet I had. Front fork tube spacing is 6" ctr to ctr. I also offset the stem bolt hole a 1/2" rear of the tube holes. Once the plates were cut and holes were drilled I was able to install the triple clamp onto the down tube.
Next was measuring and bending the fork tubes to the desired length and bend. I wanted a forward bend just above the clamp and a seperate handle bar with a rearward sweep more like GP bike setup. Installed tubes through the upper clamp holes, alligned and tac welded. Trimmed and notched the upper fork tubes, cut, bent, and tac welded handle bar.
3hrs.
Heres what It looks like so far:

Last edited:

tripp

Thanks, As for the tires, These do not say " Not for Highway use". Best place to shop for Mini bike tires is online. There are plenty of Mini Bike part suppliers on the internet. I have not had much luck at hardware stores or Harbor Frieght for tires. You want to use rims and tires made for minibikes if you can.

Oldsalt

Beautiful. Impecable rendering of a very nice design.

Would you show us a picture of your 3" radius die and the bender. Been meaning to build some for 3/4" and 7/8" useing a piece of alum. billet that I picked up. Are you talking 3" rad. to the inside of the bend or the radius at the center line of the tube? In ether case, I'm thinking that the 3" dimension is close to minimum [?]. What is your experience regarding radii as it relates to tubeing wall thickness?

That's a whole bunch of questions, but I can't constrain myself from picking your brain; It's evident you know what works and what doesn't.

tripp

The Bender I use is a JD2 Model 3 bender with air over hydrolic pump. I bought it last year to fab a sand car. These benders are Awesome for the money. The pump is double the cost of the bender but well worth it. No sweating.:grind:

link: Model 3 Manual or Hydraulic Tubing Bender at Van Sant Enterprises, Inc.

The die radius are to the centerline of the tube. ie: a complete "u"(180deg) bend will be 6" ctr to ctr of the tube. Die sets are pretty expensive. I only have 4 diff die sets. 7/8x 3", 7/8x 4.5", 1.25"x 4.5", 1.5"x 4.5"

3" is the smallest avail die for my bender for 7/8" tube.

Last edited:
Oldsalt : You can go to Pro-tools.com and they have bending charts for minimal wall thickness for the radius for the dies that they sell and radius is measured off the centerline of the tubing. For my bender the 3/4 radius start@ 2 1/2 inch and in 7/8 they smallest is 3 inch . Pro tools makes both manual and air over hydraulic benders and even a hand.
Steve

tripp

Min wall thickness recommended for these dies areas follows:

1/2" .035" 2.25" , 1/2" .035" 3", 5/8" .049" 2.25", 5/8" .049" 3"

3/4" .058" 2.25" , 3/4" .058" 3", 3/4" .058", 3/4" .049" 5.5"

7/8" .058" 3" , 7/8" 049" 4.5" , 7/8" 049" 5.5" , 1" .058" 3"

1" .058" 3.5" , 1" .058" 4.5" , 1" .058" 5.5"

tripp

I'm gonna stick a modified lifan 6.5 in it for know. At least that's the plan. I'm currently having an adapter plate laser cut for the azuza rims. It will allow the rear wheel to also work with standard mini bike brakes and sprockets.

I have never figured out why Azusa has sold that wheel for almost 35 years yet they don't make a brake assembly for it ? It is a great looking wheel and looks good on your project. Hope you will show us a picture of your wheel adapter.
Steve

As for the wheels I wonder if it may be a strength issue with 5 spokes their is less material around the hub. I hind of remember a little aluminum platform spacer that went with one of their wheels for mounting a brake/sprocket. But that was a real long time ago. Steve

As for the wheels I wonder if it may be a strength issue with 5 spokes their is less material around the hub. I hind of remember a little aluminum platform spacer that went with one of their wheels for mounting a brake/sprocket. But that was a real long time ago. Steve
I Remember that too. It was the same one the Mickey Thompson wheels used. I had one but its cracked It was Aluminum. The M/T wheel was much stouter than the Astro wheels. They Should have left the void full and not hollow in each of the spokes.

When I use Astro wheel for build I just use them on the front and use a Go power solid style wheel in the back for the sprocket.

tripp

Day 3:
Made a little progress today. instead of waiting for my wheel adapter( I have 6 coming btw so if it works good i'll let you guys know) I went ahead and modified one of my brake drum sprockets. I used my CAD template (that I sent to the cutter) which has the standard 3 bolt pattern on the outer dia for reference and the 5 bolt on the inside dia. to make a template to drill my drum for the 5 hole pattern. I know this has been done by someone else. I think I saw someone on ebay offering this type of brake kit for the azusa. Anyway I was able to allign the template and drill the holes in the drum. Then I was able to use some 1/2" spacers to clear the 5 spokes. the drum rests on the spacers and it centered nice on the wheel. next was the backing plate. I made a spacer to set the clearance from the hub. once all complete and asembled I fabbed and welded in the anti rotation stud for the backing plate. Well I believe it's gonna work just fine but I still want to try my other method as well. Few pics:

Couple of the bender for Oldsalt:

Oldsalt

Tripp

Thanks for the info and pictures. I have a Hossfeld bender that can be utilized to hold the dies so all that stands between me and a good bender is a lathe/mill project.