New fox campus seat cover and pan repairs

Thanks to Karen (Manchester1) for hooking me up with this nice campus seat cover. She even doctored up my original foam and made it like new again.

My seat pan was cracked on both rear corners (like most are). My first idea was to lay fiberglass in the corners but after several discussions with fox owners on here I found out that the seat is polyethylene and nothing sticks to it. The pics below is how I decided to fix the problem. It's a little crude but it did make the pan nice and rigid. I used some 1/8"x3/4" galvanized flat steel, bent it to the pan and riveted the metal to the plastic. Then I covered the river heads and the broken corners with duct tape before convering it with the new seat. I think it turned out pretty nice.

markus

That'll work, I am tempted to reinforce mine a bit there as well even though its not cracked! I am not so sure that deformation/hump on the side is supposed to be there though :shrug: None of mine were ever like that, Maybe the tabs that hold the pan up on the back on your frame are tweaked or something?

That'll work, I am tempted to reinforce mine a bit there as well even though its not cracked! I am not so sure that deformation/hump on the side is supposed to be there though :shrug: None of mine were ever like that, Maybe the tabs that hold the pan up on the back on your frame are tweaked or something?
What tabs? All my bike has to support the seat is the two cross members that the pan bolts to. Is there supposed to be something else where the pan curves up in the back? The sides will straighten out easily.

What tabs? All my bike has to support the seat is the two cross members that the pan bolts to. Is there supposed to be something else where the pan curves up in the back? The sides will straighten out easily.
Cruhr, The bulge in the sides of the Fox Campus seat is the result of using a thin polyethylene seat pan which was not supported in the rear end near the license plate bracket. As a result the weight of the rider squashed the seat pan down and caused it to buckle along the sides. Because this was re-occuring problem Fox began adding two L shaped support tabs to the rear upper rails of some of their later bikes. It helped a bit but didn't really solve the problem. Your bike is an earlier Campus so it's not likely that the support tabs would have been installed on your bike. Ogy

markus

Don't think I have any good shots of them off my current 1967 frame, But member aranhawaii had some shots of the 1963'ish Campus/1300 I sold him a few years back that shows the tabs they used.

I will grab my angle finder later on and and get you the measurements and angle for the tabs if you want from the '67 I am working on. They are just some smaller solid rod bent over, nothing fancy.