New guy here with a Trail Bronc

Just picked this up yesterday from a local guy. Seems to be in decent shape, was told it's a 78. It has a 3.5 Tec on it so I'm thinking it's not original.
Needs a little work so I will be asking some questions on here I'm sure. :smile:

I would like to put in a bigger engine maybe a 5hp or 6hp. Any suggestions???
Also needing some info on the jackshaft as in bearings and adjustment?

Thanks, Chad :scooter:

i don't know what motor would be good but think that is a cool minibike. i see some of those here with big 8 and 10 horsepower motors:thumbsup: someone will help you there are lots of nice people here but some not so nice.

you have an early Heald VT-3,the standard motor for these were a Tecumseh HS 40 with and upgrade to a HS 50, these thing have pretty good pick up and go plus plenty of pulling power.You can put a bigger frame motor in it but you will have to modify the frame and drive to make it work.I would put a built up HS 50 in it and have some fumn with it.

Nice bike. Welcome to the mini bike madness:thumbsup: Chatten is your main man for those bikes. He has a few incredable bikes, check his photos.:thumbsup:

delray

wow, never seen a blue strip chrome fender vt-3 bike before. only in a brochure picture and whats going on with the white torque converter cover. is that factory too or did someone paint around the decals. very nice find.......:thumbsup:

Just picked this up yesterday from a local guy. Seems to be in decent shape, was told it's a 78. It has a 3.5 Tec on it so I'm thinking it's not original.
Needs a little work so I will be asking some questions on here I'm sure. :smile:

I remember seeing that trail bronc on craigslist I think - looks like you are the lucky new owner. I also have a trail bronc and am kinda local (Decatur) so if you got some questions - I could answer them as well. The jackshaft bearing are standard minibike 5/8’’ ones I believe. The band brake on those things work great too - I can lock up the rear tire on drive pavement but the handling is weird as the tires are squared off. It is by far my ugliest mini but that makes it even more fun to look at and drive.
- Lon

the bike you have is not a 1978,the motor might be but it is from 1972-1973,yours has the first design seat on it,pressed end lower fork tubes,which were recalled do to cracking failure.the first year vt-3 had metal clutch covers and some time in 1972 they were changed to the black plastic clutch covers,I have never seen a white one on any bikes ,yours must be painted white.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good info! I pulled both driver and driven pulleys off to rebuild them and of course ordered new bearings, break band, chain and pinion gear.

My next step will be rebuilding the frontend and puting some lights on it for when we go camping.

Well it's beeb a fun few weeks working on my little bronc. Basically rebuilt the drive train, all new bearings in the wheels and a correct 3/4" primary belt. It's a blast to run around and always brings a grin to who ever rides it. :thumbsup:
This winter were going to tear it down and power coat everything and upgrade to an HS50 :scooter:

The only problem it won't idle cause the belt is grabbing just enough to stall it out. I have pushed the engine and jack shaft plate together all the way and the belt seems to have a lot of slack when it's off. Any hints to get it to slip on the pulleys at idle?:shrug: