new guy

buckeye

Welcome to the fun.
I think it is a Cat as well. Fun bikes to play with if you have a thin wallet.
If your wallet is thick, then restore away.
What part of Texas? I lived in Temple/Belton.

Capguncowboy all the cat 400x pics ive seen have shocks in the back, my seat bolts right to that extra piece. Did someone take the shocks off in place of the u shaped piece, or did some 400x come without shocks? Buckeye im from west columbia tx 45 minutes south of houston.

capguncowboy

I don't think Cat used a riser bar like that on any of their bikes. I'm guessing it's a custom add-on, but I'd wait for Joker or Derek to weigh in; they're the experts

Sam, welcome. As everyone said, that is a Cat 400, or it could be a 4001. It came equipped with a "disc" brake system, using the sprocket as a rotor. Someone has welded a bar to that, and has welded on some sort of scrub brake deal. (Foot brake) Should be a hand brake going to that caliper.

Yes, someone removed the shocks and installed that bar. Capguncowboy (above) is actually selling some shocks that might be the right ones. They connected to the bottom like the bars are now, and on the seat were two angle iron brackets. The shocks hooked to the back end, and the front of the brackets went to a hinge which has been cut off. The seat of course was bolted to the brackets.

Honestly, there is so much missing from this bike, it's not worth the expense and hassle of restoring it to original. It's easy to fabricate the seat and shock set up, if you have access to a welder. The wheels look like something else, but I'd think about an Azusa set of wheels and brake using their hub/sprocket. You'd need to weld on an anti-rotate tab for it.

The original bike came with a Tecumseh HS40 (4 HP) but the frame area is large enough for one of those 6.5 HP Predators, or a flat head 5HP briggs. This could be a fun bike to fix up, and they ride pretty good, for what they are.

Several of us have restored these bikes, so there is plenty of help out there.

99a16620.jpg

Dang thats not very good news. Honestly i didnt want to restore to original but how hard would it be to put the original break style back on?
More trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. You don't have the original Cat wheel on the back, but if you did, OldMiniBikes sells a sprocket for it. If you don't, then you need to find a wheel set and matching sprocket of about 68 teeth. Then you have to fabricate a brake caliper bracket, and buy the caliper. It gets pretty expensive and time-consuming for a brake system that doesn't work worth a damn.

Your brake choices are that disc setup, or a drum set up which is slightly better, or a band brake on your engine clutch which is way better, but useless if your chain comes off. You still need to deal with whatever is going on with your rear wheel and sprocket/welded on stuff back there.

I'd break the bike down and see what you have, and start stripping paint and grinding off the extra BS, meanwhile, digging around here and seeing what sorts of options you have for power and brakes. I've started with worse.

Thanks I'll look into it. Are you saying iys not worth putting caliper style brakes on?
I am saying they suck on sprockets, using cable. I have had several, all on Cats. Figure you've got a bit of chain lub/oil on that sprocket. All it takes is once, and the pads get a nice glaze on them. On their best day, they are ineffective. I weigh 240, and that is a lot of it. Another thing is that you cant get enough pressure on the lever and cable to really pinch it. It's not hydraulic after all.

Some of the guys use Pit Bike stuff and make hydraulic systems with brake rotors. That is a real brake. You should investigate the option of using a clutch brake. It's been used for years, and OldMiniBikes sells a kit for it now.

It goes on the clutch. Sprocket is not involved. Since I've worn out your welcome thread with my biased views, and cantankerous outlook, :laugh:why don't you go ahead and post a "build thread" under the Project Logs section?

More people will see your bike, and will have differing opinions on things. :thumbsup: