New here form MN. TT500 resto

Hi all.
Hi all.
Had a '69 TT500 back in 1982 when I lived in NJ. It went into storage under a pool cabana and was forgotten. The property is still owned by family, but I was told the bike had long since been disposed of.
On a vacation out there last year, I looked under the cabana and lo and behold, it was still there, 34 years later.
'Dragged it out, hosed it off, and figured a way to bring it home.

My young son and I are now restoring it piece by piece, and I'm hoping this forum will be a good resource for info to keep the costs low!
BTW the tubes held air for a few weeks, and it spun over easily once I removed the mouse nests from the shroud.

BTW for anyone who actually reads this - it took me ten minutes of trying to write this post to figure out I had to use "vacation" instead of t-r-i-p as t-r-i-p is a forbidden word here.

TT500.jpg

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Rob, don't mind Chipper...he's just trippin'!
Awesome that you and your son are able to do this! Amazing it was still there after all this time. Build new memories and have fun! You have a pretty complete base to start with. Karen, Manchester1 here, can make you the best repopped seat you will ever grace your eyes with and there are lots of resources here to keep you from messing up parts as you go! The Sebac shocks can be intimidating until you read the Sebac shock thread and then it will all make sense to you.
I am a dummy and nearly useless with a hammer and a screwdriver, but there are others willing to help!
Welcome aboard!

I stand corrected , lol ! Don't ask me how but I only got the part that it was long gone , oops ?? Thanks Carplaylb , there's really nothing wrong with me , wrong with me , wrong with me:anon.sml: And yes doing it with your son will be great memories , best of luck !

Hello Rob...Welcome to the OldMiniBikes !

That's so cool, that it was still where you left it.

I think you have a great bike to start with there....:thumbsup:

It is actually a 1969 Rupp Roadster. I have restored much worse than that one. Probably won't be cheap, but it will be a good project for you two!

It is actually a 1969 Rupp Roadster. I have restored much worse than that one. Probably won't be cheap, but it will be a good project for you two!
Yeah, it's gonna' get a "clean-it-up-as-good-as-we-can" restoration.
It's cool, but I can't see spending a couple grand on repro and NOS parts, and chrome plating :)

Last edited:
That cover is actually is very good shape considering. They crack at the tabs quite often, or the retaining bolt threads out of the crankshaft and wears a hole thru it. OR the usual "I flopped the bike and made it look like a pretzel" problem. However, I think you should sell it to me for $50 and buy a new repopped one. :wink: