Newbie ?s

Hello All,

I am new to the site and love all the cool looking minis. I recently purchashed what I believe to be a early 70s' model Columbia/MTD for me and my boys. One question I have, since someone decided to paint over the engine covers and cases, is about the engine. I have not had a chance to pull it out and go thru it yet, but i was told it was a 7.5 hp(not sure of the make) but I see that a lot are Tecumseh engines. I will post pics soon to try to get help on that one. My next questions is if anyone has ever tried to make or seen a drop seat mini. I plan to cut off the seat extension and cut out a section of the frame to make it a drop seat and install a Gemini SSX 80cc motorcycle tank. Add some black powder coated Z bars. Powder coat the fram black and paint the tank metalic gold w/ black scallops.It also has a torque converter and plan to dress that up to appear as an open belt drive. I look forward to posting pics as I make progress. Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

don't cut it up. if you want to cut one up get a new one like a Doodlebug or find a hahahahaed up frame that wouldn't be usable otherwise.

if you do decide to chop the frame, be ready to get a lot of shit from some of the members on this board.

Thanks for the info, but I tend to do my own thing. No offense to anyone, but i dont put too much stock into someone giving me shit. I understand the scope though as I am a member of another forum for chopper builders and they tend to give people shit, but I say if they spent their hard earned money then its theirs to do w/ it as they please. Dont take it as me being an asshole, I just stand my ground. Respectfully.

Hey Rockwall. Yes North Richland Hills here. I will definately get some pics up this weekend. Like I said its mostly for my 3 boys but of course I will HAVE to ride it too. I just want to do something different and cool. I had one my brother bought for me from a garage sale when I was a kid and I remember how much fun I had on that thing. I thank you for any help you may be able to provide. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the info, but I tend to do my own thing. No offense to anyone, but i dont put too much stock into someone giving me shit. I understand the scope though as I am a member of another forum for chopper builders and they tend to give people shit, but I say if they spent their hard earned money then its theirs to do w/ it as they please. Dont take it as me being an asshole, I just stand my ground. Respectfully.
cool. i personally don't care what people do since it isn't mine or my money. we get quite a few new people that will get butt hurt real fast if someone says one mean thing to him.

I plan to put up before pics this weekend. The handlebars and front fender will be the only things I could sell. I will only be cutting about a 8 to 10 inch section out of the down tubes leading to the rear axle plate. Just short of the top bend and just far enough down the tubes to accomodate a drop seat. I plan on using the tank in the attachment.

Good to see another 'local' here.:thumbsup:
MTDs arent that much of a rarity, so even I dont feel bad about hacking one up. (I have an MTD too...)
Sounds like a good project that the kids will love. :scooter:

Hey born loser. Thanks. I will be up in your neck of the metroplex tonight. My oldest boy (13) plays for the Liverpool FC America select soccer team and they are playing up at the McInnish Parks tonight at 9. Then Richland College and back to McInnish on Saturday. As for the MTD, I have found a number of them on ebay. I think they were distributed by Western Auto back in the day. Im truly not on here to try to disrespect anyone or their opinion toward chopping an old mini. Just trying to set it apart from others and being an avid rider I have been wanting to try a drop seat project.

the engine looks like an 8 horse Briggs definately off of a generator...thats why theres that weird spark plug boot...
Sounds pretty close. The previous owner said it was a 7.5 hp but was not sure of the make. What do you make of these plugs that come out of the bottom of the engine case.