obtaining an ohv sticker

james c

i want ride by mini in an ohv area, i drove out to rowher flats today and asked about minibikes, not without a sticker!:thefinger: its a 10000 acre place that is just 10 mins from my house. so, i was wanting to get a title and vin plate from an old motorcycle frame and obtain a sticker that way, has anyone gone through the trouble to do this yet? if not ill be the first.
so if anyone has a title and an old frame they would want to get rid of,let me know. i only need the vin and title, nothing else. preferably a california frame so no hassles at the dmv.

james c

thats fine if you have a mso invoice. no source of frame means no title, plus its easier to just register an old frame and put the sticker on the bike. all they want is the money anyhow. just install the vin tag somewhere.

george3

I did it with a small trailer. Went to DMV with a trailer that had no paperwork and no vin. They gave me a stick on vin. to register it.

george3

manufacured, brand name motor cycle trailer. It had no name tag. or vin, or serial numbers. Just go to DMV and ask at the desk.

did they consider it homemade? i dont know of that happening with a motorized vehicle. a tow vehicle might be different.
I would think that if it meets the guidelines for a kit vehicle, which a modified unit just might, lighted and using hand signals, the ability to reach the minimum speed limt, you should be able to register as homebuilt or kit status! A dude here in OKC drives a Ledgends car with lights and signals and is titled now as a kit car! But each state has its own guidelines for that type a deal! Good luck!

james c

i only want an off highway sticker, so i was hoping to avoid the inspections and stuff. i have a special construction harley that im sure required a mso\
manufactures statement of origin. california really sucks when it comes to registration

Here is what you do in california to get a OHV registration.. First grind off the vin number on the bike if it has one. REPAINT. Then just go down to the Highway patrol office and ask them for a vin for a homemade OHV. They will look at it make sure it has a spark arestor on it and issue you a vin. I think the last time we did it on a go-kart it was $45 but that was about 9 years ago.

Head to DMV with your paperwork and mini and pay there $38 to reg the bike. Tell them its worth $100 so you dont have to pay there stupid taxes. Make sure they know its 4 stroke so you get a green sticker not an orange one.

That should be it pretty easy.

okay, if ive got this correct, if your minibike has no numbers at all, you can take it to the chp and have it vin'ed?
That is correct. Now you have to be a bit dishonest when they ask you did you make this. You have to answer YES. In our case we actually did make the off road kart that was raced on a road course before it took on its current form of an off road monster.

james c

okay, i have my gameplan, ill run down to the chp office with my bike and score a vin, hit the dmv and get stickers? do i need an appointment for chp?

tomsprops

It's all about documentation . Bring a biil of sale for your frame or tell them it was yours as a kid . Also bring a receipt for the engine as well .Engine ID #'s are important on a MC. I was able to get my Rupp a Green sticker . It took 2 trips to the DMV and one to the CHP.