old briggs flat head (3 hp)

i got a old 3 hp briggs flat head from a friend and i wanted to know if there is a governor on these...

and how to adjust the screw on the side of the carb it is the kind were the carb is on top of the gas tank with the tubes going into the gas tank i got it to run but i wont idle please help????

[
PHP:

there is no governor on these engines. on the screw on the side turn it in all the way and the back it out 1 1/2 turns and start there keep backing out until it runs good. also check you idle screw it might just need turned in a little bit.

It definately has a governor, most likely a pneumatic governor.
i have never seen a 3hp Briggs with a governor. i have seen one with like a throttle setup to where it wont open to full throttle but there is no governor in side of them. :thumbsup:

also i have not seen a (pneumatic) air governor on one. their is nothing restricting the air flow on the in side of the carb, or the air filter assembly. what it sounds like you are trying to say is their is a restrictor plate ??? their isn't one.

Last edited:

Motra

A pneumatic governor system uses a governor blade above the flywheel. It responds to the movement of air from the cooling fins of the flywheel. It isn't any kind of restrictive device within carburetor. There are no mechanical parts inside of the engine, just a simple blade above the flywheel. It's extremely common on the smaller Briggs & Stratton engines.

Yes, I have a few 3 and 3.5's that had the fan type gov. You will see a rod that will pull back on the carb and it is connected to a flap inside the pull start cover. This flap pulls back on the carb when the fan is going fast making a simple type gov. Just remove the flap, light spring, and the rod.

The idle adjustment screw should be adjusted with the tank filled at least half full and air cleaner on,,,,,back the screw out about 1 1/2 (tuns and let the engine get completely warmed up. Turn the screw to the right until the engine starts to sputter then turn it to the left until it starts to sputter and adgust to the middle of the two. Then test again at a slightly higher RPM then test drive keep an ear one take off/idle and full throttle. In is lean out is rich.

A pneumatic governor system uses a governor blade above the flywheel. It responds to the movement of air from the cooling fins of the flywheel. It isn't any kind of restrictive device within carburetor. There are no mechanical parts inside of the engine, just a simple blade above the flywheel. It's extremely common on the smaller Briggs & Stratton engines.
dang man i have never seen one. and i have had and worked on quite a few 3hp and 3.5 hp briggs.

Yes, I have a few 3 and 3.5's that had the fan type gov. You will see a rod that will pull back on the carb and it is connected to a flap inside the pull start cover. This flap pulls back on the carb when the fan is going fast making a simple type gov. Just remove the flap, light spring, and the rod.

dang man i havent seen one can you post up a pic ? :confused:

I have a 3ph bringgs mini and I dont see that rod linkage... I can tell you that the card itself is a restrictor plate POS though :thumbsup:

dang man i havent seen one can you post up a pic ? :confused:
Nope, all have been removed. :thumbsup: