OldMiniBikes Warehouse Throttle kit

I wanted to post up some info, as I could not find much info on the kit I installed for my throttle linkage from OldMiniBikes warehouse: https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/predator-engine-throttle-kit.html?category_id=1086

I previously had the below kit, cheap: I was on my 2nd kit for this bike, this setup is not smooth, and my throttle kept sticking, not good :censure:

So I had been hesitant to buy the new kit from OldMiniBikes warehouse, as it was $30, and thought I could make my own, but time is money and I bit the bullet and bought the kit from OldMiniBikes, and am glad I did. This throttle kit is super smooth and works awesome. It is initially setup to work with a governor so I had to use a lever off of a top plate I had lying around. The original lever would work but for a governor setup.

Original Lever

My modified lever

Close

Had to bend the rod and add a return spring

Finished product:

I am very happy with this setup and would highly recommend it. It would be a bolt on deal if you had a governor and hooked straight to it. Modifying it as I did did not take much time at all.

Last edited:

Davis

I wanted to post up some info, as I could not find much info on the kit I installed for my throttle linkage from OldMiniBikes warehouse: https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/predator-engine-throttle-kit.html?category_id=1086

I previously had the below kit, cheap: I was on my 2nd kit for this bike, this setup is not smooth, and my throttle kept sticking, not good :censure:

So I had been hesitant to buy the new kit from OldMiniBikes warehouse, as it was $30, and thought I could make my own, but time is money and I bit the bullet and bought the kit from OldMiniBikes, and am glad I did. This throttle kit is super smooth and works awesome. It is initially setup to work with a governor so I had to use a lever off of a top plate I had lying around. The original lever would work but for a governor setup.

Original Lever

My modified lever

Close

Had to bend the rod and add a return spring

Finished product:

I am very happy with this setup and would highly recommend it. It would be a bolt on deal if you had a governor and hooked straight to it. Modifying it as I did did not take much time at all.
You are correct I've done two of them now and had to bend the rod around to get it to not stick wide open seems to be really finicky.

You are correct I've done two of them now and had to bend the rod around to get it to not stick wide open seems to be really finicky.
Mine is smooth as butter. If you look at the lever(has all the holes drilled in it), I bent it down, and bent the rod as well, so the lever and the carb butterfly rod hookup is on the same plane, level with each other. My throttle snaps back with authority now. I used the return spring off the predator governor arm, perfect fit. I hope your setup isn't finicky, my old one was, and would not hang wide open, but just enough to keep the clutch engaged.

Davis

Mine is smooth as butter. If you look at the lever(has all the holes drilled in it), I bent it down, and bent the rod as well, so the lever and the carb butterfly rod hookup is on the same plane, level with each other. My throttle snaps back with authority now. I used the return spring off the predator governor arm, perfect fit. I hope your setup isn't finicky, my old one was, and would not hang wide open, but just enough to keep the clutch engaged.
No I meant the first one on you post that you didn't like.

No I meant the first one on you post that you didn't like.
Oh gotcha, and yes, they are junk. The hook on the connecting rod is where mine kept binding. Its hard to bend that rod to make it acceptable, as it is hardened.

Last edited:
Thanks for this post - I was on the fence about buying one of these. Like you said they aren't cheap - but knowing it does work I'm going for it now.

Thanks for this post - I was on the fence about buying one of these. Like you said they aren't cheap - but knowing it does work I'm going for it now.
It mimics a top plate used on race karts, and those are always super smooth as well. I know you wont be disappointed. I was on the fence as well, and could not find any good info or picture online, so glad I pushed you to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
I was thinking about trying one of them but what is the benefit over just using the cable hold down that already comes with a predator?
I cant speak to this, as I have never used the stock governor assembly, but if the stock assembly is not smooth as butter, and doesnt fully move the carb butterfly in its full range of motion, those would be the main advantages for me. For me the governor serves one purpose and once the governor is gone, its purpose is eliminated, but if you can or have used it, post up some pictures for comparison. The above hookup is simple and effective.

Last edited:
I have a Predator hooked up with the factory hold down clamp and have had no issues. I had to loosen the throttle arm and bend the tab that the return spring attaches to for more return. It has not failed to return to idle or felt sticky in any way.

I have a Predator hooked up with the factory hold down clamp and have had no issues. I had to loosen the throttle arm and bend the tab that the return spring attaches to for more return. It has not failed to return to idle or felt sticky in any way.
Cool deal, thanks Doug.

Will this work with the 79cc Predator? Does it work with the Hemi? I have two different projects, using the two different Predators and I have been looking at this set up. For the kids' bike I am really interested in a throttle that snaps back quickly. If the answer is no for either case, please include a suggested throttle linkage.

T-Town Mini

If you're using the original throttle control setup with the governor you can just add a second return spring as seen here:

I drilled a 1/16" hole in the throttle control assembly and attached the other end to the cable anchor screw.
It works very well. Very "snappy".