One of the best things Ford ever built

I've never been a huge Ford fan, but the old N series tractors are an exception. After living out here in the woods for a few years, I decided I needed to do some land clearing. I bought this '46 2N. Re did the electrical, now 12 volt, electronic ignition, Chevy alternator with built in regulator. New carb and starter.The hydraulic lift and PTO work great. I painted it the original For Gray.
The newer Ns were gray and red. I'm going to mow some mini trails through the woods and brush thickets. I may even get a metal flake seat cover to top it off. All that's left is to add lights and pull the bumper for more straightening.

Kenny1

Nice tractor. I've always liked the old Ford N. All the tractors built befor 1950 are pretty cool. I have a stack of antique tractor books that sit on my coffee table that I look through constantly. Once I had a chance to get an International TD9 to put in my back yard to look at but my next door neighbor really frowned on the idea so I decided not to get it. But man that would have been cool!

Those are real popular because their not too big and not too small. At auctions they often for more $ than the bigger tractors. This is the only Ford id be seen in :thumbsup:

These are everywhere in this area $600--$6000, depending on who has it. I got this one cheap due to a defective new distributor cap. The new caps are defective, The contacts set in so far that the rotor hits them. I ground a little off the rotor and it fired up. I've heard the flathead V8 will bolt right up.
I saw a picture of one with the V8 for sale somewhere. I'll get a padded seat cover with the logo on the backrest and have you replace seat portion replaced with silver metalflake. Kenny1, my neighbors have seen so many different kinds of things come and go here, they don't even bother to look any more. Great neighbors :thumbsup:

I worked at the ford tractor dealer here in town for over 8 years , did my share of tune ups ,, they last forever for 20 hp tractor they are very popular ,, Dont forget the over riding clutch for the PTO so you dont end up going through some fence somewhere :thumbsup: the differance between a 2n and a 9 n was no electric starter most have been converted by now , all the 8 ns were red and grey with the later modlels having side distutors and hour heters 4 speed transmissions ,, lot of the 2 and 9 ns got the over drive convertion .. this was not a ford option but rather aftermarket , lots of them have it though ,, ever see the six cyl convertion ,, it uses the 6 cyl engine from a ford truck of the times using speical tin work it really is a different tractor ,,,

Last edited:

den35

I saw that one on Discovery Channel.Awsome car,massive performance,but the engine was only good for 10hrs before needing a complete rebuild.(If you ran it to it's peak performance)

tomsprops

Shoe That's awsome ! What is that like a 59-60 Fairlane ? That's a sweet ride ! Yes the A** end all jacked up is a little out of fashion But who cares ! That was the look !
You can leave it ! Slam it ! Or Raise it ! Gasser style ! But above all KEEP IT ! That's a unusual body style, just the type of car I look for at a show !

i saw a rat rod like that cruising down the freeway on saturday. i love those things.

i also love 5.0 mustangs.

here's mine that i had back around 2001.

delray

nice tractor jimh:thumbsup: i seen a real nice massey ferguson restored last summer at a steam show. kind of like a sister tractor of a ford. sorry picture was taken with a cell phone:doah:

also real cool 1938 minneapolis-moline

and just for the record. one of the best things ford everymade was a 9inch rearend and thats coming from a chevy guy:doah:
i like looking at all makes and model:thumbsup:

delray

yes i do own a ford,but don't tell anyone:thumbsup:
here is a picture of it. it won't open up any larger/ save it small:doah:

delray, I have a Massey Ferguson like that to pick up and rebuild when I get time. I think he said it had a 3 cylinder Perkins engine. I have a late 8N and a '49 or '50 8N here waiting for me to get to them too. I always liked the looks of that model Minneapolis Moline. They kind of looked like a factory puller or a tractor with a drag car body :thumbsup:

Shoe, one of my old buddies had a Fairlane like that as his first car. It was baby sh** yellow with a white top. Yours looks way,way better.