One of the Most Hated Minis.........

I can't quite grasp why the Minibike World hates the Carter Shortster so much BUT.....

(I love the thing)

I found myself incredibly bored over the last few days so I decided to do some stupid stuff. Saddlebags!!!! I wound up the lathe and the mig and made some brackets.

There really is nothing more enjoyable than wasting time on silliness.:laugh:

The bike still has Windber dust all over it. I haven't washed it yet.:eek:hmy:

Doc

Last edited:
What a shock! Tell me it isn't so! It's always a sad day when I see a "Fox" man goes over to the dark side. Well Buckeye; I guess it's just you and me left in the Fox fan club. What's truly distressing is that we don't even have enough members for a quorum. Ogy

Ogy, Ogy, Ogy....Ye of little faith. I bought this bike in '99 for my daughter. Technically it's not mine. I am just improving it. I still stand strong with the Fox community. Examples below.

My first....

My second....

My future...

All still in the fold.

I will never desert you and Buckeye.
Once a Fox man, always a Fox man!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

Doc

Last edited:

buckeye

Ogy, I am always a Fox man! !
Although I do own others due to not being able to find Foxes around here.
Only ones I ever see I have to add shipping and makes things out of my league

And yes, Doc those bike are uuuuggglllyy!
Saddle bags on that is like putting lipstick on a pig.:laugh:

Ogy, Ogy, Ogy....Ye of little faith. I bought this bike in '99 for my daughter. Technically it's not mine. I am just improving it. I still stand strong with the Fox community. Examples below.

My first....

My second....

My future...

All still in the fold.

I will never desert you and Buckeye.
Once a Fox man, always a Fox man!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

Doc
Now I feel bad for ever doubting you. With three Foxes under your belt you more than qualify for a seat on our board of directors. We'll take that up at our next regularly scheduled meeting. Welcome back. By the way; when are you going to start work on that Campus? I'd like to see that someone besides me is working on one. Ogy

Nice bikes. Only HD took offence to the name and that's what did them in. :thumbsup:
That is true. And shortly after, Carter Brothers burned to the ground for the second time and did not rise from the ashes. Sadly there are no parts for the bike except for the common stuff. The clutch covers never seemed to survive. I have a few parts from when I bought the bike in 1999 but when they are gone...well...that's it.

They were nice bikes. Brutally powerful and unbelievably fast. It handles excellent and it fits an adult great. It's a tremendously well built bike and the powder coat is indestructible. I really never understood the animosity.

Doc

Last edited:

pomfish

That is true. And shortly after, Carter Brothers burned to the ground for the second time and did not rise from the ashes. Sadly there are no parts for the bike except for the common stuff. The clutch covers never seemed to survive. I have a few parts from when I bought the bike in 1999 but when they are gone...well...that's it.

They were nice bikes. Brutally powerful and unbelievably fast. It handles excellent and it fits an adult great. It's a tremendously well built bike and the powder coat is indestructible. I really never understood the animosity.

Doc
Well............Those saddlebags look great.
As far as the animosity, It probably starts with the blatant dis-respecting of Harley Davidson. I am not a Harley guy but millions are, so that is a big problem.

Please don't take these observations personally, but you did ask, so here goes.
The decals which are too large in some spots like the on-off decal that's like 5 times too large. Then the funky almost stencil like cuts on the rear side panels which are too flat. What are the cuts on the tail supposed to be, reflectors?
Always confused me what they were trying to do there.
Everything looks too squared off to me, no curvy flow. The bike almost seems like multiple designers worked on their piece and then at the end they all got bolted/welded together.

Some Manco's seemed the same way, like the freaky frame on the Big Cat thing. Or on my Manco 573, the front of the frame and the back are 2 different animals. And it also suffered from wacky factory decals.

On the positive side, the Carter Shortster has neat looking wheels, the handle bars look right for a cruiser, the seat is nice and I know those shocks are good as Surplus Center had them a few years back and I scored 2 sets, good quality.
The length is good for an adult as you said and everyone who has owned them said they are nice ride and powerful.
I would own one but would have no mercy on the decals and probably would cut some stuff out to suit me, but I respect you for keeping your's original as they are indeed only original once.

The burning of the factory in the same time frame of the lawsuit always bothered me too as they put good honest working Americans out of a job by not rebuilding, but that is business sometimes I guess.

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:

buckeye

These forks I purchased from one of the designers of the Carter Bros. mini bikes.
The we're going to have a new bike prior to the fire.