Oregon parts quality

LOOKS like i,ve got to rebuild my old 81302 briggs 3 hp. these parts are obsoliete from briggs now and i noticed a company called oregon (made in u.s.a. ) has parts to do a o/h. has anybody here ever used them ? hows the quality please ?
thanks
bob

My son has been rebuilding lots of old Briggs 3 and 5 HP engines for nearly 4 years and never once had to settle for aftermarket parts. He found EVERYTHING he ever needed on EBay as OEM NOS ("New Old Stock") parts. Contrary to what you might think, there are some very good deals on these NOS parts, you just have to be patient and look around a bit, as prices (and shipping!) will vary significantly from seller to seller. In addition, it never hurts to make an offer on the "Buy it now" items- my son has had success doing this. The first thing you want to do is go to Partstree.com and plug in your engine #'s. Then you can scan their diagrams for the part you need and get the actual Briggs part # . Then go back to Ebay and search using that #.
Sidebar: Our very limited Briggs aftermarket purchase experiences a few years ago was not good. We bought a few carb diaphrams and carb/tank gaskets and found the quality (thickness) to be substandard, and the latter always leaked.
Michael

Thanks for the imput fellas. I have a 3 hp that is in dire need of valve guides. In all my yrs i,ve never seen such loose valves. Its a bugger around here to get any machine shop to machine a briggs engine. Everybody says " just buy a new one "

My son has been rebuilding lots of old Briggs 3 and 5 HP engines for nearly 4 years and never once had to settle for aftermarket parts. He found EVERYTHING he ever needed on EBay as OEM NOS ("New Old Stock") parts. Contrary to what you might think, there are some very good deals on these NOS parts, you just have to be patient and look around a bit, as prices (and shipping!) will vary significantly from seller to seller. In addition, it never hurts to make an offer on the "Buy it now" items- my son has had success doing this. The first thing you want to do is go to Partstree.com and plug in your engine #'s. Then you can scan their diagrams for the part you need and get the actual Briggs part # . Then go back to Ebay and search using that #.
Sidebar: Our very limited Briggs aftermarket purchase experiences a few years ago was not good. We bought a few carb diaphrams and carb/tank gaskets and found the quality (thickness) to be substandard, and the latter always leaked.
Michael
I agree :thumbsup:

The OEM Briggs carburetor diaphragm gasket is a must.

The OEM Briggs Carburetor to Gas-Tank gasket (pulsa jet) has a unique rubber texture that prevents leaks and I've never seen them duplicated by other brands.

MB165

Most all of those parts will be imported copies. The quality is not the same. For instance... the chrome plate on the cool bore pistons is thinner and doesn't cover the piston as well as factory. rods and ringsets aren't the same finish as the originals and seem to wear faster.
Oregon, stens, rotary, sunbelt, aftermarket parts suppliers most mower shops use them, but if you ask they can probably get the OEM parts. They are going to more expensive, but if you are keeping the engine for yourself its worth it.

BigAq

I think Briggs made the tools for reaming out the valve guides and installing new inserts. Maybe check out some of the older repair shops in your area.

I agree :thumbsup:

The OEM Briggs carburetor diaphragm gasket is a must.

The OEM Briggs Carburetor to Gas-Tank gasket (pulsa jet) has a unique rubber texture that prevents leaks and I've never seen them duplicated by other brands.
I use cork gasket material for my carb-tank gaskets. Never once had a problem, and I come out ahead for 10 minutes of my time and a couple of pennies.

A bunch of my gaskets have stayed together for years & years. No problems to be had.

I usually smear mine with a little non-detergent 30wt before sticking them on there.

Just so you know, all the "Oregon" brand parts I have seen were made in China, it's just another one of those brand names emulating US industry but actually made in China (like the Harbor Freight brands "Pittsburgh", "Chicago Pneumatic", etc.).

From my experience, the China stuff are not bad parts necessarily but original Briggs and Tecumseh are always noticeably better quality and finish, especially Briggs & Tec older parts. :thumbsup:

Just so you know, all the "Oregon" brand parts I have seen were made in China, it's just another one of those brand names emulating US industry but actually made in China (like the Harbor Freight brands "Pittsburgh", "Chicago Pneumatic", etc.).

From my experience, the China stuff are not bad parts necessarily but original Briggs and Tecumseh are always noticeably better quality and finish, especially Briggs & Tec older parts. :thumbsup:

100% agreed, the Oregon stuff isn't nearly as good as OEM.

But for everything else I use Oregon parts for, they work A-OK. They're not exactly gruesomely expensive either. :shrug: