Overall decent shape?

Easily fixable

Hi guys, remember me? This one's actually a fair deal, and I got it. It's got wheels, brake and sprocket, pegs , handgrips, seat, and the chrome isn't pitted too bad. As for the frame, it's fixable, maybe not for a perfect restoration, but great for a second father son project. I'll try to do it so nobody can tell it was molested Strigoi! I scarfed it right up even though there was a frame and fork on CL in California for $150. The guy's OK, and the bike is mostly complete, except for a motor. He's putting it all in one big box, just like I did with mine last summer. Too bad UPS is $140. Note the jackshaft mounts...Gee I have three Hodakas under my desk so I can get one running, eventually, but first may use an HS40. I have my own childhood CR 400 and now I may give my 8 year old son a pile of freshened up parts so he can build one like mine. Anybody got a running HS40 they'd like to trade? I'll do a project log to show the frame fix.

Good job marksteinhilber. I was going to get it as it would been easy for me to pick it up, but I thought about it too long. To buy all them parts indiviually would cost way more than the asking price and like you said that frame modification is an easy fix. As for people harassing an ebay seller over their acutions because they don't want to buy the item, leave them alone, that's just rude.

Don't harass Ebay sellers

I agree, why ask him if expensive tool cabinents are included. But it told me that he's probably mechanically inclined and able to break the bike down to get it in a box for safe shipping. Hope it gets here OK so I can unchop it! Thanks for your encouragement. Now I have two projects, a Taco Super Trail 100 and a Cr 400 or 500. Anyone know where the Bonanza serial number is on mini choppers. I don't remember seeing it when I sanded and painted my other bike's frame?

a steal 250 ? two wheels ? the frame has been mutilated . got a frame im working on now that looks like the same type of workmanship ,i work in a welding shop already spent 3 hrs and i still have a couple more to go . grinding and cleaning the crappy weld out . frame was advertised ,good frame no cracks . people come on this site to find out what somethings worth ,it,s a pretty complete bike , not happy with the appraisal ,2 days later its in pcs on ebay .people put bikes on ebay , ask a stupid opening did then say no shipping , some sellers put adds on there that say rupp , and its a renyolds . and there are outhers that sell outright crap .i guess there,s a sucker born every day .:thefinger:

a steal 250 ? two wheels ? the frame has been mutilated . got a frame im working on now that looks like the same type of workmanship ,i work in a welding shop already spent 3 hrs and i still have a couple more to go . grinding and cleaning the crappy weld out . frame was advertised ,good frame no cracks . people come on this site to find out what somethings worth ,it,s a pretty complete bike , not happy with the appraisal ,2 days later its in pcs on ebay .people put bikes on ebay , ask a stupid opening did then say no shipping , some sellers put adds on there that say rupp , and its a renyolds . and there are outhers that sell outright crap .i guess there,s a sucker born every day .:thefinger:
That's why I never reply to "what's it worth" threads. If you tell them it's not that valuable, it may end up parted out. If everyone oooohs and aahhhhs, and tells them it's rare and sought after, it will end up on eBay for high $$$$.We have a lot of control on the prices, directly or indirectly. No matter what the prices are though, someone will pay it just to have one that someone else says is cool.:eek:ut: It's lack of independent opinions and the old cliche KEEPING UP WITH THE JONES'S that drives up the prices.

I got a fairly complete CR400 for $65 a year or 2 ago. If the guy had been on here and asked the value beforehand, there's no way it would have been under $200.-$300.

Last edited:
a lot of guys wont reply to whats it worth ,and i agree with them ,for just that reason ,then you see a complete bike parted out on ebay that i would give my right arm for .it,s getting harder to find complete bikes now . it,s always motor swapped ,wrong wheels ,no gaurd , jackshaft assembly long gone its very frustraiting ,and then he wont ship ?craigslist is nice but it has to be close so you can go in person . i would not buy off there anyway else .in canada its even harder to find them ,its a lot of hunting and driving. worst thing is when i buy from the states is the exchange rate 25% then when the brokerage fees hit it with 30% of the buying price , it hurts .so when i buy a mini from the states on ebay the selling price ,i usually just double it and thats what im looking at in canadian funds with the shipping ,duty , and taxes , its cruel .:thumbsup:

It's funny how I must have had an indelible effect on you, you name drop me all the time. I never think of you, sorry. :eek:ut:
I think of you every time I see a hacked up Bonanza because you wanna cut before you think. :eek:ut: It's a shame there are soooo many like you out there! :sadcrying4:

george3

that exactly what I am going through with my bonanza at this time small hack job to alter it but no way, want it origional if possable.

Parts worth more than $250

I jumped on it because the parts alone are worth more than $250. I have been watching for parts and a frame to build a second bike. The sprocket, wheels, and even the Carlisle tires rarely show up on ebay or CL. For those of you who frequent the swap meets and yard sales in a metropolitan area, you're lucky and can find rare parts cheap, but not without a lot of time and opportunity invested. $250 saved me a lot of time. I have been watching and bid on a number of CR 400 rollers, some rustier than the Titannic, and I quit bidding around $250. I got this one because the guy put Buy it now $250 and although he said no shipping, he said he would break it down and ship all the parts less the frame and junk motor for the $250. He didn't realize or want to take the time to part it out to maybe double his money. I talked to him on the phone after I nabbed it and convinced him it could be boxed, just like I did with my CR 400 last Summer. He was happy I was going to save it and put it back right as he had wanted to do. Reassuring phone calls and an extra $25 can turn No Shipping into a seller happy to move an item. The tool cabinets are a hint that the guy could tear it down for shipping in 45 minutes. CL is a much better opportunity for those in a big city area to jump on something others haven't seen yet. When knowledgeable members see a rare one, they're on it fast, and they're not telling the forum what it's worth if they wan't it. Nor will they tell a guy he's got a $5000 bike. If they're honest, they will tell the guy what they think a reasonable price is that takes into account for them showing up right away with cash.

As for the frame, this will be a resto-rider, not a show bike. As long as the frame gets pulled back to shape, I won't mind slight irregularities, my boy sure wont. Let rare or desireable frames get restored. Copy the parts you like instead, and only hack up if they're a common item or raw material. That said, anybody who hacks up a collectible bike is only making the others we might already have worth more. Perhaps if some good judgement was exercised, we wouldn't see animosity between the hacker modifiers and the restorer collectors. There's room for both, but it's just plain rude to act in a way that purposefully offends others. Therapy may be neccessary...

Cr 400 serial numbers

Thanks Jimh on the serial number info. I had seen CR500s with that plate riveted to the front of the engine plate. My CR 400 has a flat plate that does not turn down at the front and has no riveted serial number plate. I am the original owner with the original paperwork, which I can look at for my own bike, but I thought there might be a stamped number somewhere, I just haven't found it. I think the one I just bought is a CR 500 because of the jackshaft mounts, but Bayareaburrito hsa told me he has a CR 400 that can with a jack shaft, possibly an option, or possibly a pproduction change. My CR400 was bought from New London County Harley Davidson in Niantic Connecticut in Dec of 1970 or 1971 if I remember correctly. They had a whole line of minichoppers for sale in front, parked right by the street that drew a lot of interest. I'm not surprised to see a lot of these show up on Ebay from that area and New Jersey.