painting a minibike?

Oldsalt

For a Baja Doodlebug a rattle can paint job will do nicely. IMHO. Completely disassemble. Clean it of all oil and grease with Brake Cleaner [as good as any and cheap]. File or sand/grind bad welds and other clean up. Sand smooth any rough, loose, or scrached original paint. Spray with primer [let it dry very well] and sand with no courser paper than 400. Repeat in areas that arn't good enough for what you want. When the air temperature is above about 75 rattle can the parts with color. Plan on two coats. One to just barely cover, then a few minutes later another light coat to get coverage. Forget about silly metalic paints and the horrid metal flake stuff. Until you get some experience would only increase your chances of a bloched job and they're mostly kid stuff anyway. If you want to be a high zoot painter go to Community College or buy some expensive equipment and a couple of books on the subject [I have both plus experience but would still use the rattle can on a Doodlebug].

Oldsalt

with rattle can, cant you go as corse as 220 grit?
Some sand scratches could still be seen unless you get to at least 320. But 220 will work if you are not looking to have your name engraved above the doorway of the Mini Bike Painting Hall of Fame. Just don't tell Obama and hell never know.

The following Ruttman project log thread shows the good results that BRIANC obtained w/a rattle can.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/2720-ruttman-project.html

He got the spray paint from the vendor link below, about 20 bucks a can. The vendor's website also has good application instructions and other info. I will probably get paint from this company for my Lil Indian project.

Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories

Paint questions were also recently discussed in the following thread, where a couple of other vendors are mentioned.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/8752-spray-paint-question.html

I actually was riding around on my mini yesterday and stopped by a body shop. He quoted me a price of $100 to make Thor beautiful. I just have to pick a color.

KB2ROCKET

1.grab can by bottom
2.smack the lid on the side of the work bench untill it pops off
3.shake can
4. make sure it is pointing away from you
5. point at the project
6. press the button and watch your project change colors
7.. keep moving so the paint dosent run continue until the project is now a new color
8. take finger off button
9. drink beer:drinkup:
10 watch tv
11 take a nap:sleep1:
12 drink more beer:drinkup:
13 use the bathroom
14 return to the project and admire it
15 throw away the empty beer cans
16 go to bed:sleeping:
17 sleep for 8 hours:sleep1:
18 continue the project :rockon::clap:

1. clean all parts
2. rough all surfaces with sand paper or steel wool
3. prime parts, use at least 3 coats
4. use 4 ot steel wool to smooth primer
5. paint parts, use at least 3 coats
6. you can use steel wool after this to if you want it to be smooth but then you have 2 use clear coat (which i would recommend)
:weld:

i paint all sorts of things with rattle can.

$100 for paint? Get it powder coated for cheaper.

If the frame is stock and clean it has a powder coat, the cheap way would be degrease and paint with a rattle can, I might go with a Fusion or similar paint for plastic which might stick and flex better on powder coat. OR have it powder coated for $70 or so.

well if u already have a air compressor ,
you can buy the fallowing.

1 harbor frieght gun $15
2 alsa base coat 8oz-$10 each
2 part top clear and hardner decent brand $36
plus the reducers and sand paper

your lookin at a eazy 90 if u wanna do it your self

i flaked a few skate boards and sold this 1 for 150 to a guy that was openning a tattoo shop

wasn't too hard and it came out decent, i used a black base coat with red flake top cleared it and it was sold.

one of my first paint jobs if not the 2nd or 3rd 1.

the main thing is prep fallowing the instructions and patience.
good weather always helps

Get it powder coated for cheaper.
not around here. i stopped by one of the better places in this area and they wanted $150 for just the frame (no front end). this included stripping it.

i've seen work that many other local places have done and would only go with these guys. it's quality work, but you're going to pay for it.