PAP's - Renegade - (Anything Goes)

Anything goes class, scratch build. I'm attempting to make a bike about the size of a Rupp Roadster II. It will be suspended front and back, so I think I'm starting from the front and working my way to the back. There are still are a few parts that I haven't acquired yet, but I need to get more into the build to figure out what's gonna work. I'm Stoked!

Makin' chips as we speak....

I've started on the forks. I'm turning down some old shot out stainless steel .30 cal rifle barrels for the lowers and using 3/4" black iron pipe for the uppers. I found some springs at Lowes, that were actually for porch swings. They're rated @ 300 lbs, so I think they should be stiff enough.

I pretty much have the fork tubes done. I found a nice chunk of some sort of stainless to make the spring cups from, it turned easy and polished up nice. The old barrels turned pretty nice, but that black iron pipe turns like hemp rope! Good thing I have belt sander. Not much turning on the outside, but I did have to run a reamer in the i.d. to get it perfectly round. I got a good enough fit that with a drop of oil, these feel hydraulic!

Next step is the brake arrangement. Once I know how wide the forks are to be apart I can make the triple tree. I've been engineering a mechanical brake that will probably be overkill and over the top, but hey sometimes you just have an itch to scratch.

I pretty much have the fork tubes done. I found a nice chunk of some sort of stainless to make the spring cups from, it turned easy and polished up nice. The old barrels turned pretty nice, but that black iron pipe turns like hemp rope! Good thing I have belt sander. Not much turning on the outside, but I did have to run a reamer in the i.d. to get it perfectly round. I got a good enough fit that with a drop of oil, these feel hydraulic!

Next step is the brake arrangement. Once I know how wide the forks are to be apart I can make the triple tree. I've been engineering a mechanical brake that will probably be overkill and over the top, but hey sometimes you just have an itch to scratch.
Dang nice job on those forks ...PAP.!:thumbsup:

I completed the front rotor assembly today.

Some of you guys are probably thinkin' "Hey, that kinda looks like a.........you'd be right, it's a circular saw blade.

I am now ready to tackle the brake caliper. I had a brainstorm about building a mechanical disc brake that would be "efficient", and require less effort than most mechanical calipers by use bearings to reduce friction. You might have seen my post in the tech section. I started by making a mock up from wood to to get the geometry correct, and I'm glad I did. It helped me eliminate all the bugs before I started whittlin' on some billet. Now that I got it figured out, I can start machining. Here's what I got so far...although you won't recognize what it is.

Nice work PAP :thumbsup: You are brave turning stainless, our tool maker at work hates it and tells me all about it every time I walk by :doah: I cant tell you how many times I have heard that it is like making 6 foot razor blades :laugh:

Those rifle barrels are made from 416 ss, and it's fairly easy to turn. 316 ss isn't too bad, but it's non magnetic. The color of 316 is slightly yellow compared to 416. When you get into 304 and 17-4 ss, it can be a real bitch, it doesn't come off in chips, but rather a string.