Picked up old Clinton. Need info

Hi all. I picked up this old Clinton. Says Clinton Karting engine so I assume it was go kart purpose built, which is cool. How dies the serial number lookup go on these things so I can tell what year it is?

Does the 404 mean 4 HP? Real nice looking one. I'm partial to the little ones. Gonna restore this one up and find a frame that would be period correct. Has spark. And other info you can give me would be great.

Thanks

I think that says "before starting engine, check oil level in crankcase."
I was talking about the circle decal on the pull start. But I think you inadvertently nailed it. That one I now realize says EZ Pull Starting. So thank you sir. Still doesnt take anything away from it for me. I wasnt gonna use it for any of my carts. Way too small.

The 404 began production in 1961. As for what year yours is, I would guess 1965-1970. It is a 3.5 hp. There is no real way to tell the year based on serial number (yet)

Charlie

The 404 began production in 1961. As for what year yours is, I would guess 1965-1970. It is a 3.5 hp. There is no real way to tell the year based on serial number (yet)

Charlie
Ok thanks for that. Do you have a carb and gas tank? I sent u a PM earlier. It looks like the tank mounted over the recoil with that dark mark on it, No?

g3bill

Nice link;-) Interesting, i didn't think there was anything on Clintons...

I had a 2-cycle panther i guess it is, gold color from a surplus store brand new for 29.95 in '60 i think. Put it in a mini bike scooter i built in jr.hi shop class. Put a rod threw the case over reving down a hill, The mount was stamped steel and cracked from the load. Guess it was ok for a dumb kid. New rod and JB weld and sold it.

Still have a Red colored one somewhere? think it was better made and more power, was told it had ball bearings but dont know? Cant even come close to my WestBend 10hp in a Taco;-)

Nice link;-) Interesting, i didn't think there was anything on Clintons...

I had a 2-cycle panther i guess it is, gold color from a surplus store brand new for 29.95 in '60 i think. Put it in a mini bike scooter i built in jr.hi shop class. Put a rod threw the case over reving down a hill, The mount was stamped steel and cracked from the load. Guess it was ok for a dumb kid. New rod and JB weld and sold it.

Still have a Red colored one somewhere? think it was better made and more power, was told it had ball bearings but dont know? Cant even come close to my WestBend 10hp in a Taco;-)
The westbend is larger in dsiplacement and made more like a Saw motor.
There were several versions of the Clinton 2 stroke.
A lawn mower ( that was not a bad machine )
A utility engine ( that was also not a bad machine as long as you did not over rev it as you learned )
A Saw version ( lacking the good breathing top end a high reving saw needs, but they made better low end torque than most saws. Over all this was actulay the better for karts and minis than the utility )
Over all I would have to say the little Clinton utility 2 stroke was as good a 2.5 hp engine as you could buy for the money.
I like them, wish I still had some....

Here's the one you want to look for, the E-65

Back int he day I used the saw version
This had a swivle intake and carter carb I had to swap high performace rose pedal intake and a Tilllotoson carb.

Being a looper with a deflector on the piston these ran out of breath in big hurry.
trick was a pipe and expansion chamber.
You also had to stretch the ports on the exhaust AND intake ( so the biggers would not idel worth a dam )

Last edited:
Back many years ago I built some, then "wild" A-490's with crankcase filler, bigger carbs,piston mods and port-work,fuel Etc. They were The King; AH the Good old days:wink:

I'm not sure but think i have an old Clinton outboard motor, 5hp? Any motor in the hands of kids will take a dump at some point:wink: Cant get to my red clinton or would post a pic.... :drinkup: