piston ring size

bluac

Hello new to this forum, I have a few quick questions. I bought a billet rod from ARC and want to install new rings also, well I'm not sure if I have the 1mm or the 1.5 mm thick rings. Then I noticed the low tension rings and wanted to know how thick those are if I can use them in my motor?. I pulled off the head to look at the top of the piston, it's not 100% flat it dips in a lil about 1mm. It is a blue harbor freight greyhound 6.5 hp. I work alot and dont have much personel time so I'm tyring to find out without taking off the rod and piston, order the parts, wait untill they come and have parts lying around untill I get the time it install them.
my next question is while searching for an answer I've read about installing exhaust valve retainer and lash cap on the intake. So yesterday I went and bought some and put them on this morning and noticed that the intake valve tip is longer then the exhaust, so the lash cap does not sit all the way in the retainer. I have 18lb springs so I don't think I'll need a shim, but do I need to file the tip of the intake valve down so the lash cap is almost flush with the retainer like the exhaust side is?
My last question is if this flywheel is good enough I'm a family man so I have my priorities but I take my kids out when I go out on my go kart, and dont want my fw exploding and smacking us up side the head. my governer is taken out. PVL Flywheel for Clone
thanks in advance

Not sure on the greyhound rings most but not all clones are 1.5mm thicker but some did come with the 1mm thinner rings.
The piston is called a dished piston.
Which lash caps did you buy? There are a few different ones.
And the PVL flywheel is a good choice, wise investment.

bluac

I don't know what brand of retainer and lash cap, I went to my local lawnmower shop. I did try them on my exhaust side and they fit almost flush, thats how I came to the conclusion that the intake valve was longer at the tip of the valve after the retainer notch.
And what of the low tension rings thickness? I emailed ombw and they sent me a link to this forum to find out

low tension piston rings and intake lash cap

Yyou didnt mention if your putting in a cam, pipe or carb. if not you'll simply run out of air and rpm before low tension piston rings start to pay any divadineds. On a dyno what dose anybody see a 1/4-1/2 a horse on a methenol motor thats turning 9K+?

The exhaust side retainer on the intake take is going to drasticly change your installed height on that spring. you wont have 18 lbs there anymore.

I don't get the rational for putting a exhast retainer on there in the first place.
When's the piston ever gona contact the intake to knock it lose from the retainer.
The exahaut side i can see that as the piston is chasing the exsahaut shut on the overlap.
Someone come up with a good explaination for that one.

Last edited:
Oh ya sorry I should have mentioned it, 22 mikuni carb, billet rod, gx160 head, tav torque a verter, and a custom exhaust. A flywheel and ratio rockers in the near future
So I'll get a shim for the intake spring, but I'm trying to find out more info about the the rings