Predator 212cc/Hemi Upgrade ?s

Why would you want to shorten the pushrod? I may have forgotten what mods you are doing. if you are keeping the hemi head and not milling it why would the length change? If you go from the stock .040 head gasket to a .010 that is only a .030 difference. For that I would use the stock pushrods. If you are going to a clone head then you would have to change the pushrod length. I am not sure if the lifters in clone and hemi are the same length I can see if I have a clone one and compare.

Why would you want to shorten the pushrod? I may have forgotten what mods you are doing. if you are keeping the hemi head and not milling it why would the length change? If you go from the stock .040 head gasket to a .010 that is only a .030 difference. For that I would use the stock pushrods. If you are going to a clone head then you would have to change the pushrod length. I am not sure if the lifters in clone and hemi are the same length I can see if I have a clone one and compare.
the hemi head is .080 milled and with a .016 copper gasket... may change to the .040 gasket... but intend to use the .016

Last edited:
well then if the adj pushrod can go to 5.5 they you are covered because of the milling. That comp cams video sure makes it easier to understand than that article link I posted. Good find.

well then if the adj pushrod can go to 5.5 they you are covered because of the milling. That comp cams video sure makes it easier to understand than that article link I posted. Good find.
cool, gotta make sure they do not require the guide plates... hope they are a direct replacement would be cool...

got the NR head Friday (came fedex home delivery, guess they were open)... did come with the 26 lb springs and valve cover/gasket, rockers, etc

tore down the motor a little to compare the heads... will tear down the rest, when the cam arrives...
dont have to move the rockers to get to the bolts

at TDC with stock piston

substantial looking flywheel... lol

bandit 40

thank you, cant wait to figure out this push rod thing and get the cam, so i can put this thing together and paint it... or may tear it down and paint, then put back together, not sure... but gotta black it out...
Shoot ,your going all out Gerald I cant wait for a video of this beast.:thumbsup:

Shoot ,your going all out Gerald I cant wait for a video of this beast.:thumbsup:
i cant wait either! if the engine parts hadnt costed so much, i would paint the block and heads black and then send to get diamond cut (show cut all the fins), or drive down to henderson, nv and have it done while i wait... if this were a more vintage bike build i would do that... but being a doodlebug, im getting close to where i dont want to spend much more on it... hopefully i can pull the paint work off, that is the intimidating part of this build for me... that and these push rods, rocker geometry! lol

bandit 40

Oh yeah its gonna scream :hammer: .Hey if you haven't found any 8.8 I can send you a piece with the boot. Ill make it longer so you have room for error :shrug:

Oh yeah its gonna scream :hammer: .Hey if you haven't found any 8.8 I can send you a piece with the boot. Ill make it longer so you have room for error :shrug:
thank you, I havent gone through my stuff yet, but will def let you know if i cant find anything...

diamond cut would look like this, supposedly help with cooling too... had a harley engine (sold it a while ago) and had all of it done, ended up wanting to go all black, but looked nice, even for a person like me, who doesnt like chrome, etc... this is not my previous motor, just a pic i found for an example... I may just paint the black and then grind all the paint off the edge of the fins and see if the contrast looks good too...

got the rest of the arc stuff in, short carb adaptor, air filter, stud (the studs on the new block are the same size, so may need another one, or may not have needed the extra stud, will figure out later), chromoly cut to fit push rods, which i may try to use, before ordering the adj ones, with the billet lifters...

also, may put this 390 carb on the wifes kart and go with a tilly and alcohol, after initial riding to break the motor in, the tank and lines were chosen to stand up to it... if i half to drain the tank etc.. .thats what ill do, i can all something to the tank or system to make this easy...

just waiting on Isky Cam and will be good to go for the swap...

just got a shipping conf. so cam should be here by wednesday...

brings me to an "issue"... i am trying my hardest to stay within my budget, but i am going to buy some more parts, therefore, my stock take off hemi head is going to be put up for sale to help offset the cost...

i sold the extra set of 26 lb springs and stock piston (that was coming from isky)... although the buyer is being patient, he already paid me for them and i felt uncomfortable... i didnt know how long before the cam would come (and am/was in no rush). Tim has been fast with communication and shipping so far... was no biggie... however, being uncomfortable holding someones money and not shipping parts, I ordered another set of 26 lb springs, from arc, because i had to purchase some misc stuff and it would not be any more shipping to throw in the box...

all that to say that the take off hemi head, will be sold with the 26 lb springs... one person first in line for it, once a final price is agreed. if he passes it will be listed in the for sale section. not that anyone wants the hemi head or anything...

also the stock carb and other misc take off parts are for sale also, pm me with an offer if you want it...

This post will contain any parts sold and budget recovered from take off parts:
-sold stock Piston and extra 26lb springs, net $30ish

GrandTotal: $884.11
Left in Budget: $115.89
have to be honest and add back into the total an additional 26lb spring kit (which i got on sale for $9 along with some other parts)... bought this as to be able to ship the piston and springs to the purchaser and them not have to wait, in case the cam took longer than expected... Cam is on the way, but no biggie! have some other stuff to add too. selling the head and extra parts, will help me re-attain my budgeted goal...

so:
- 26 lb springs :eek:ut:, $9 (no additional shipping cost)
-Raceseng Adjustable Push Rod Kit - S2, with billet lifters, $119.95 shipped

GrandTotal: $1013.06
Left in Budget: -$13.06