predator gas cap

I went to mount my predator 212 engine and the gas cap won't come off because the bar is in the way. OldMiniBikes suggests getting a low profile gas cap, any suggestions out there so my son can finally start riding?
Thanks

We don't know which 212cc predator you have, there are a couple few different models. Post up a picture of the front tank mounts if you can, or the model number printed on the box or on the recoil housing: 60360 or whatever.

1) You can hunt for a right side fill predator tank, but they may be hard to find right now.

2) I think some predator tank mounts are exactly like Honda(?) If you have one of those, you can easily install a GX120 tank. Smaller capacity and just enough shorter to give you clearance.

3) You can install a remote tank somewhere on the frame. Behind/under the seat usually works well. What kind of frame is it?

How much room between the cap and frame? Some of the older clones and Hondas have a lower profile. The new ones have a big vent piece under the cap. If the metal piece under your cap was not there would your cap work?

Last edited:
I substituted a Greyhound (low profile) cap on my hemi Pred which had the deep cap as shown by Gumpit above. The non hemi that I bought had the low profile cap so it fit fine on one of my CATs. The Honda low profile caps are a direct swap also.

If the old style Honda low profile cap fits on the predator, that is the easy answer. It looks like you would gain at least 1/4" to 3/8".

I guess the guy had a short attention span. Nobody gave in an answer in less than an hour so he left. :shrug::laugh:

Hi, thanks for the comments, the engine is the 69730, and the pic posted above is exactly the cap I have (on the right). If I could eliminate the metal piece, I would should have enough room. I'm at work so I can't provide the exact clearance. I went to O'reillys and they were worthless, their inventory is all make and model specific, so they can't just sort by low profile Honda gas caps. they need exact model numbers. I will try autozone on my way home.

I've been getting an error message every time I go into photos, but looks like it's working now. trying one picture showing 1 1/16" clearance between predator engine and asuza cross bar. more to follow

Hey it worked. I went to autozone, and they had this ancient low profile gas cap, with a diameter about 1/8"-1/4" less than the cap it came with. The tabs are wide enough so the turn and "hold" function works, but it's pretty wobbly, not a tight seal. Should I be concerned? Doubt any gas will splash out.

You can modify the existing gas cap. Simply pry off the exterior black plastic cap. You will find a white plastic double ring. Cut the white plastic ring fluch with the top of the existing metal cap. That's it! Cap will now clear the bars. If you want pics and more detailed instructions contact me.
!