Questions from a newbie

I just purchased a Rand Sperry tri-cub and its awesome. It needs a little work. The brake doesn't work well at all. It is a band type brake that I tried adjusting the brake cable a little tighter but didn't help. It just make the brake pull harder without any improvement on braking. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also is there some type of maintenance I should do to the bearings or anything like that.

Thanks
Pauli62

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes pauli162 with all cables it has to be quality liners and on trikes with their extra long cables it is a must. Band brakes are always marginal on stopping a Trike because of the extra weight. I buy my brake line material from Flanders Motorcycle Supply because the have the quality housings.
Steve :scooter:

Welcome pauli62, fellow cubber!

Assuming that your band and drum are ok and the adjuster end of the cable is secure, you may need a cable. I have had some luck modifying modern go-kart brake cables to work on the Tricub. If you’re using a modern, replacement brake lever assembly that takes a ⅜” barrel end on the cable, these cables can be made to work fine. On my recently restored Minicub (same brake components as Tricub), I ended up getting a custom cable made because I wanted to use the original brake lever which takes a ¼” barrel end. There are some cables available with ¼” barrel, but these are usually for throttle applications have smaller diameter braided wire and I didn’t want to shortcut on the brake cable… not that the Minicub is capable of any high speeds or anything.

If you need a need drum or band, the problem is that originals are 3¾” diam and these components are not readily available. I haven’t needed to upgrade to the more common 4” on my cubs yet, but I assume that this can be done without too much effort. I haven’t looked in a while, but my earlier search didn’t reveal any 4” drums for ⅝” jackshaft, so to make this conversion there will likely be some custom fabrication required anyway.

Is this the Tricub that was listed on Chicago-area CL recently?

Thanks for your replies. The brake lever is plastic and about 3" long and the cable does have a 1/4" barrel end so I guess its the original. I do think it probably needs replacement. And I'm not sure if I should just convert it to a more common 3/8" barrel cable and replace the lever or try to keep it stock. Now for the drum and band. The drum looks like it has a few scores in it. The liner looks real old and pretty worn out. If I purchased a band for a 4" drum and adjusted the brake cable to make up the difference, do you think that would work? I'm really happy I found out some info from you guys about these things, I have had mini bikes and motorcycle ever since I was a kid but never saw or rode a trike like these and I think they are really cool. Especially all of the different ones I see you guys have.

I was also wondering about what it would cost to rechrome the handle bars or if I can purchase new ones just like it.

I am sorry I'm going on so long about this but I want to get as much info as I can get about these trikes. Is there another good forum like this for more geared toward trikes? I would as much info as you guys would like to give on these and really appreciate your time on this.
And wildman yes I did get this on cl in chicago area. What do you think they are worth approx. not that I am looking to sell this.

Again thanks for all your input.
Pauli62

If the brake lever is plastic, it's not original so you might as well get a replacement lever that takes the ⅜” barrel and get a new cable. I have not tried to use a 4” band on 3¾” drum, but I’m guessing you’ll run out of room for proper adjustment. I have not seen any replacement handlebars that look like the originals… around here, it costs me $100-$120 for a decent rechrome job on those bars.

Regarding other trike boards, this one is by far the most active for these kinds of trikes. I have made some good contacts for the Sperry trikes on the amphibious ATV forum, 6x6world, mainly because some members also have or are interested in the Sperry 6-wheelers called the Wedge.

No comment on value, but consider it like most hobbies, you have to enjoy it mainly for the psychological gratification, not financial reward.

PM me if you need more specific parts details.

pauli62

Thanks for all that great info, I am going to replace the brake lever and cable. I was thinking of trying to reline the brake band. Does anybody know where I could purchase flexable brake lining?

Steve's right. I have been keeping this M-C info bookmarked in case I ever needed to try and reline a band.
McMaster-Carr
Not sure about the adhesive, though. If you try this, I am very interested in your results.

OldMiniBikes Warehouse offers an NOS brake lever and cable.
7/8" Brake Lever & Cable (NOS)
This lever is a near-perfect match for the original Tricub/Minicub. The cable has the correct barrel end to match the lever, but the casing doesn't have an adjuster on one end. There are other brake cables available that have the casing with adjuster and pretty much only need to be cut to length to use on this application. You also need to mod the cut end to make it stay seated in the lever bracket.

Last edited: