rear wheel sprocket wow's

This is my rear set up,I have been trying to get the sprocket on center to allow the chain to flow smoothly(with no tight then loose spots..It is a drum brake as well..

I have been trying for 4 years to do it w/ no luck!!!!drilling different holes,trying to measure from the axle to the teeth,then drill,but then the holes never come out where u want them??

I was considering on adding a 1 piece sprocket and drum allready set up..that will solve all my headace's...but then I will have to buy new,chain,clutch & the sprocket as the 1 piece set up is only in #35 chain,now it is #41..Has anyone else had this happen and how to correct?

OH, I do have a nice spring loaded rollerskate wheel set up off the engine to pick up the slack on the chain,but I would rather get it set up to complete a revolution smoother..

thanx

Last edited:

gbones

i gave my sprocket to a friend and he put it on his lathe to get it centered. members on here have done the same from what ive read.

I've had a similar problem on one of my Bonanza projects... ended up putting in on a lathe and "triming" the center hole slightly, got it closer now, but it's still isn't perfect.

mardyn

you will never get the tight spots out completely all chains have tight spots and loose spots and those who say they don't !!!!!! well there chains must be really looseand not able to notice it . during the rotation of the chain on the front and rear sprockets at one point of the rotation the chain is being pulled at two different points at the same time . that's why you adjust your chain according to the tight spot on the chain. motorcycles do the same thing and no! motorcycles do not have chain tensioners on them, only minibikes .

If you put a slight drag on the rear wheel, the chain tension should be consistent throughout the rotation. The only way they could have tight spots is if something is out of round, or all the links aren't identical. With no drag on the rear wheel it seems there are tight and loose spots due to the rear wheel coasting fore and aft. Every motorcycle I own or ever have owned had chain tensioners of the type that moves the rear axle back to tighten the chain. None of my minis have chain tensioners of any type. If it's lined up right, there is no need for a tensioner, unless suspension geometry makes one necessary. The motorcycles actually have adjusters rather than tensioners.

Last edited:
Every motorcycle I own or ever have owned had chain tensioners of the type that moves the rear axle back to tighten the chain. None of my minis have chain tensioners of any type. If it's lined up right, there is no need for a tensioner, unless suspension geometry makes one necessary. The motorcycles actually have adjusters rather than tensioners.[/QUOTE]

i guess when i say a chain tensioner i mean an idler wheel that is adjustable to take the slack out of the chain between the front and rear sprockets . i have never seen one of these on any performance bike (motorcycle) fixed or self adjusting like we put on our minibikes.

george3

they are on dirt bikes because of the long travel. If they were not on a long travel the chain would get really lose when bottom out. or when lifted. Like I said before. take the chain off. hold a piece of metal, a pincil or any thing. 90 degrees just above sprocket and you will see if it goes up and down. fix that then worry about the chain.

lot of good info here but,most are missing my point,the sprocket to the hub is out of geometry,the hub is bolted to the rim,that all good-but when bolting the sprocket to the hub,is where it is imposssible to get it the sprocket bolted on so the geometry is correct and this will allow the chain to turn more consistantly??

Last edited:
It looks like the drum may need to be faced too. Is your problem out of round or side to side? It looks like you would have some side to side with that drum. Take the whole works to a machine shop. They can mount it on a shaft or axle in the lathe and check both types of runout real easy. Shouldn't take that long to fix it.