Recoil Starter Rope Replacement ???

I need to replace the rope in my Tec 5 hp (1969) recoil starter. Many years ago when I tried to do this on an engine, the only things I remember are bloody fingers, a couple tools being thrown ( have since gotten controll of this impluse), and my mother scolding me for the language that I was using. What are the secrets, tips, advise for replacing a recoil starter rope ? Thank you very much.

buckeye

There is a good write up by metal man somewhere and there are some good videos om you tube.
The best way I found was the local small engine shop. Much less hassle.:laugh:

WrenchDad

I bought a new recoil spring (B/S ) and the directions were on the package, I followed them and it was easy.

If your just replacing the rope and not the spring I usually take the housing off wind up the the recoil from the inside (make sure you turn it the right way) line up the holes for the rope on the wheel and the opening in the shroud,then using vice grips clamp down on the wheel and the housing to keep it from spinnig back. Then tape a thin wire to the rope and fish it into the shroud opening and then grab it with tweezers or needle nose (what ever will fit into the hole ). Then pull it through and tie it or how ever it connects. then with tention on the rope you can take off the vise grips and slowly let the spring pull the rope back in side.

Hope that helps.

^^....if it's just the rope needs replacing just do like like Wrenchdad says. There is a little "window" cut into the recoil pulley where the rope engages and you tie the knot. I use my thumbs to "pre-wind" the pulley spring the proper number of turns in the proper direction. There is a hook bent on the end of the spring inside which engages the internal hub of the pulley....it will only engage in one direction. As you turn it you should feel the spring engage and start to coil . I don't rememeber exactly but the pulley is approx. 3 1/2" dia.......x pi gives you a circumference of around 10" so if the rope is say 36" long you need to prewind the pulley 4x to make sure it pulls the handle up nice and snug when you let it go....(don't pre-wind it more than you need to or you will coil bind the spring)

After you prewind it the proper number of times line up the rope hole with the pulley hole...feed the line through and make a nice tight knot. It's easier with two people but you can hold it with a clamp like WD said while you tie the knot. Make sure it works properly and then trim and tuck the knot into the window so it is below flush or it will get hung up......:hammer:

I took some pics a while back on an H50 to do a tech how-to on this but lost them....:doah:

Last edited: