Removing A Gov questions.

Neek

Hello, I am looking to purchase a new minibike (my first) I am talking to a guy on Craigslist that has a brand new mini bike with a 7hp predator on it. He said he removed the gov, I asked him if he took necessary safety precautions while taking it off, he said no but for another 100$ he'll put on a aluminum flywheel and conn rod , 18 lb valve springs. Is this all of the parts you need to add when taking off the gov? He said ill be fine without those as long as I don't rev it for too long, I just wanted to get your opinion.

And one more question, how fast will a 6.5 hp engine go with the gov still installed and a 180lb rider?

You'll be fine with those mods. For an extra $100 installed I'd do it. I'd want to be there when they're installed so I know he's not bullshitting or plan on pulling it apart when you get it home.

I haven't hahahahaed with mini bikes for years and am just going off my sketchy (at this point) clone knowledge.

It's impossible to tell how fast something will go without knowing the gearing and tire size.

Well..considering the flywheel alone is 100 bucks....sounds too good to be true. But if you actually see the parts in the motor as he assembles it...then its a sweet deal. And as far as running without precations......not smart to do. Especially since you never owned one before. Just my opinion...and not that of this station.

Oldsalt

It must be realized that reving ANY engine beyond the engineered and designed and manufactured limit is to venture into largely uncharted water. Sure the flywheel can be changed and the valves kept from floating and a slightly better piston installed and some other BANDAIDS. But they are, and there is no doubt, BANDAIDS, and poor ones at that, which sorta address the more dangerous issues and the helping out of the some parts that seem most prone to fail when 'over reved'. SURE! I agree, there are some builders with experience/knowledge/skill that have most [never all] of the issues figured out. The loon that tells you he can protect and your investment [and your right leg] for $100 I lying through his teeth or is profoundly stupid. Possibly some some combination thereof.

Remember you are buying an engine that is the lowest common denominator. Cheapest China POS exported to the free world.

It must be realized that reving ANY engine beyond the engineered and designed and manufactured limit is to venture into largely uncharted water. Sure the flywheel can be changed and the valves kept from floating and a slightly better piston installed and some other BANDAIDS. But they are, and there is no doubt, BANDAIDS, and poor ones at that, which sorta address the more dangerous issues and the helping out of the some parts that seem most prone to fail when 'over reved'. SURE! I agree, there are some builders with experience/knowledge/skill that have most [never all] of the issues figured out. The loon that tells you he can protect and your investment [and your right leg] for $100 I lying through his teeth or is profoundly stupid. Possibly some some combination thereof.

Remember you are buying an engine that is the lowest common denominator. Cheapest China POS exported to the free world.
Same goes for driving anything that requires seat belts and or a helmet.Even by design it must be deemed unsafe. If we read all the safety labels when we kids we would have all been couch potatoes and all sports would have been non-existent.