Resurrecting Old Yeller

By the way just a side note on the fuel tank , there were three disk mounts on the bottom that were all broke loose that had to be spot welded back in place.

Nice! Do you use a clear coat on the tank with similar makeup of the paint?

Thanks for asking there Raskin. No clear was used in this job. I used a tractor supply enamel with their hardener which works well. It dries between coats pretty quickly and is some what hard to run.

Some views of the engine with the intake I had fabricated and a good ole OldMiniBikes exhaust to top it off.

As you can see I will be needing to figure out throttle linkage for this beast. So if any one has ideas I am listening. Thx
Here is one more with the carb, which is an h70 carb but not sure I will stick with it. :shrug: :grind:

delray

project looking nice. i am just wondering how well it will work with a H70 carb , cam(isky), point ignition and no compression relief.
going be fun....:scooter:

project looking nice. i am just wondering how well it will work with a H70 carb , cam(isky), point ignition and no compression relief.
going be fun....:scooter:

Well to be honest I am wondering too at this point, but as I mentioned to someone else this is a bit of a science project. My first time putting one of these together in this configuration. I have other problems to work out such as the clutch sprocket not lining up with the rear.
Currently have a mount in progress to cure that, but have not been working on it lately because of other time constraints.

Thank You all for the encouraging comments.

Roger

delray

i was just wondering too how that whole setup was going to work for you? the only two isky cams i know that tim makes is one that turns 8500 rpm's and the other i believe is around 7000? i would have to double check on that one. both of them cams are way too much for that little flathead and setup that you are using. i don't think you will be happy with it and it could be a fighting battle with that carb.
if you are just running a clutch to rear sprocket you never really going to to feel the power. the gearing won't be correct. you would really need a jackshaft and on that bike build i don't think you want to go that route?
your almost better going with a newer stock tecumseh cam with the spring/arm compression relief and little stiffer spring,advance the timing and install a 2500 stall spring in your clutch. mount a rupp style adjustable jet and idle carb(new replacement) or maybe a small mikuni carb. you should be able to pull rpm's up to 4500+ or so with the factory gearing. 10tt clutch....maybe with just little bigger rear sprocket...:rolleyes:
looks like you got most of the stuff done and looks like your ready to fire it up. just try it with the stuff you got now and see how you like it first before changing anything.
just keep us posted,bike looking nice......:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Cycle junkie what ole 4 and Delray are telling you is the gospel . Starting your motor will be a bitch , these without the compression bump are evil. They will and can hurt your arm bad . I also along with the other to have a built Hs50 , mine has the dyno 255 and will go upwards of 7500 with no problem. Also these blocks are fragile and are in need of bracing. Mine has a complete girdle that tie the side cove to the point engine mounts . Also the carb is probably not enough, a mikuni 22 would be perfect for it , mine runs a tilly .
Good luck with it and post up some video of her running .

Thank you Delray and David very much for the input. It is appreciated very much as I have built other things but first time for hot rodding a small engine. I was going to limit the rpm's to about 5 but sounds like that may not be the best. I am still working on a mount for the engine at this point,( under time constraints of dealing with personal vehicles etc.)to get sprockets lined up.

I had considered a mikuni 22 but thought it might be a bit big. But am continuing to go forward one way or another, and will be posting.

Thanks again for the input

Roger