Rupp Trial Mini Bike

yay468

Rupp Trail* The tire is actually misprinted and says "Rupp Trial"
Hello all. I'm new around here, as in VERY new. This is like a combo thread, so I think it would go here. Sorry in advance if its in the wrong area. Okay. Today, i was out at our local flea market. I joined around here to get info and help on building a minibike with my new welder setup. Well, we found a mini bike out there today. The reason I believe its a Rupp Trial is the front wheel. The only form of any ID on it is the front wheel. Its says "Rupp Trial Made In the U.S.A." And then dimensions. The engine is a VERY old, just by looking and the writing style, Briggs and Stratton. The number is 130292 0141-06. Comes back with nothing on the website. The man who sold it told us that it ran perfectly fine, and based off pulling, seems like it should be okay. My quetsions are:
1. Is this indeed a Rupp Trial?
2. Whats the motor exactly? I don't have any clue what the mixture ratio should be. Could I dump in some 50:1 i have laying around and see?
3. How do I go about building it? I'm looking at a economical/usefull build. I've wanted a mini bike for years, and im going to ride it, alot. Could by just regular parts with the same dimensions?
4. Any other misc. info is greatly appreciated :D
Thanks everyone! I look forward to getting some answers, you guys are awesome around here for that :D

Last edited:
Pretty sure its a Rupp. I don't think they came with Briggs engine. That would be a straight gasoline engine, no mixture with gas but check the engine oil:thumbsup: You can get a lot of the parts from OldMiniBikes warehouse. As far as original parts go....I would have to say good luck. Some may be found on ebay and some members may have some to sell you. Welcome to OldMiniBikes.

yay468

Okay. Awesome. All of you guys are awesome. but real quick. I couldn't find the oil area...I didn't look extremely hard, but i swear it must be hidden. Ill get to work tomorrow. Thanks guys! Now, real quick, is this like rare or something? I cannot find ANY information on it. It also looks exactly like a trail horse.

I wouldn't say rare. There are a few around. The bike is 40 years old so not so common. A lot of members have trailhorses. It is a nice riding bike:thumbsup: Check out the photo gallery.

joshua. c.

yea thats a trail horse frame with a rupp front wheel and what looks like modified rupp front forks two. the engine is a 4hp or 5hp briggs they are good running engines. its a 4 stroke like a car so no pre mix. it wont run right on it. so the oil is in the bottom of the crank case. the fill caps are on the bottom of the crank case cover, pointing up, most of the time there are two one on each side. you never know what the engine has been threw so change the oil before you run the engine. standard 30 weight oil works great.

Last edited:

markus

"Trials" is correct and not a misprint. its what they liked to call that particular tread pattern.

The forks are interesting because they are late Rupp triple trees but with solid tubing, and other than the square blocks they really dont look modded. But of course the welding is also hidden behind the rolled down edges too.

The stuff you find at the 7 Mile Fair. Well awesome. All of you guys are amazingly helpful. I'm going to work on it today. Any idea on the amount of oil needed? And so its just SAE 30 oil, right? Again, thank you everyone!

The stuff you find at the 7 Mile Fair. Well awesome. All of you guys are amazingly helpful. I'm going to work on it today. Any idea on the amount of oil needed? And so its just SAE 30 oil, right? Again, thank you everyone!
Dang, you found that at 7 Mile Fair. I haven't been there in awhile. I should go there more often

Dang, you found that at 7 Mile Fair. I haven't been there in awhile. I should go there more often
Right? Its the first time i've been there since September. AND MEGA SCORE! :D i actually saw two other motorized bikes. One was a VERY old, near silent, gas bike of some sort. The guy was riding around it. And i saw another, old chinese looking mini bike, that looked INCREDIBLY old.

joshua. c.

level the engine, then fill to the top threads of the filler cap.

level the engine, then fill to the top threads of the filler cap.
Okay. I was planning to drain it. But the of the four motor mounts, one is stripped to a perfect circle, and all of them are unbelievably tight. I sprayed a bunch of WD40 on, gonna let it sit over night. Okay everyone. After 3 hours of work today on it, I have more questions.
1. How does the back wheel assembly work? I'm at a total loss on what to buy/how to make it. It has the back axle, the sprocket, the chain(literally a solid piece of metal, but i'll make it work :D), and what looks to be either bearings or spacers, all completely frozen.
2. We tryed to start it, it moves, but spark plug isn't working. So, how should i go about finding one? Its just a regular briggs and stratton sparkplug right? And the gap is also unknown....
3. My parts list is this atm. Back wheel, back wheel tube, rim, brakes, brake lever, brake line. Im not sure if the clutch is currently working.
So from now, i need to get this running, get it warm, drain the oil, refill it, test it again, and hopefully get it running! :D Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

joshua. c.

if you cant get the motor mount bolt free you can always cut the bolts head off and replace it. as far as the oil change, the small sqare plug in the front of the engine is a drain plug. un screw it it and all the oil will dump out. and dont forget to wrap it in teflon tape when re installing or it will leak out all your oil. if the engine has no spark its very rairly the plug, seeing the rust on the frame id say you need to clean the rust off the coil and magnet. then re gap them. if it has a small whire running from the coil behind the flywheel it means it has points and those will need a cleaning as well. looking at that shround its probably new enough that it has no points. getting one of these engines running is easy once you know what you are doing but its complicated and theres alot you need to learn. if might be best if you find a local who can teach you what to do and how to do it.

You can have the brake on either side depending on which mount you can find. If you run a jackshaft you will want the left side brake mount. Or you can just run a brake on the clutch.

Nice man! at least you got working tires. lol. Its gonna be hard finging parts .I can find the rims and find the tubes/tires. But unknown measurements for holes. That's justone example.