Selecting a Predator

T-Town Mini

Are there differences in the Predator engines at Harbor Freight other than the displacement choices?

I've seen threads on the Predator 212cc with a Hemi head....is there a way to select that model via online order or is there a number on the box identifying it as such?

At the local HF there's a stack of boxes with the engines in the corner of the store...which one is a Hemi?

Is the Hemi head people talk about just a mod kit available to install on one?

The hemi head harbor freight engine has a part number of 60363 in the outside of the box. There are 2 versions of the 69730 engine. One has a better head on it with bigger valves and automotive style retainers and keepers. The only way to tell them apart is to look at the max rpm. The one you want will read 3800rpm. The other will read 3600rpm.

Hemi is a different engine I think the number of the hemi is 60363. The picture on the box shows a cast aluminum valve cover where the others are all stamped steel. Motor has a number of advantages over the others such as using same cam and gaskets as 196 cc clones (most at least not all) It has a flattop piston and the hemi head. Drawbacks are if you are building a all out motor you can't use ratio rockers and must use the stock rockers. Valve to piston clearance is limited for very high lift cams would have to notch piston and I don't think stock piston would take it.

T-Town Mini

Thanks, guys. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I've read that the hemi had a cast valve cover and the one they had in the showroom display was stamped steel. So, I wondered how to choose between the two. Now I know.

I need to look for PN 60363 labeled 3800 RPM and the box illustration should show an Aluminum cover on the engine.

The hemi head harbor freight engine has a part number of 60363 in the outside of the box. There are 2 versions of the 69730 engine. One has a better head on it with bigger valves and automotive style retainers and keepers. The only way to tell them apart is to look at the max rpm. The one you want will read 3800rpm. The other will read 3600rpm.
:thumbsup: saw that head on eBay and wondered how to find it. You say valves are bigger? One on eBay right now for 30$

Sweet....This info helped me a lot, thanks guys! looks like I bought the non Hemi #69730 with the better head that has the bigger valves as the box says it's the 3800rpm motor. Good to know! :thumbsup:

What you are saying though is don't use the 18lb valve springs as the 5mm valve stem wont hold up?

Last edited:
I just cracked open a non hemi engine that was rated at 3800 rpm and it doesn't have bigger vales or automotive style keepers. I'll post the model number in a little bit.

A couple other things. The late model has a .010 metal head gasket, the old model had a .40 fibre head gasket. The new model has a dished piston that sits way down in the hole. The old model sat flush. The old model has a nasty looking crank. Grind marks all over it. The new model has a nicely machined crank.

Agreed. New model crank is much better than earlier model. When I cracked open the case, I was expecting another Chinese hack job, but was pleasantly surprised. Mine was only around .001 out of round.

so which motor is a good buy for a swap the 69730 or 60363 , i keep hearing good things about both these days ? I want to possibly do a swap but now i am confused on what model to go with .

Personally I buy the non hemi predators. Parts are more common. I already owned one when i bought the 2nd one so keeping things uniform was what I wanted.

But in all honesty either one is a good choice

I picked up another non-hemi last night as I already have several as Camjamsdad pointed out , but the store was loaded W/Hemi's so I may go back and get one too ?? I'll throw it in the shop and use it sooner than later , $99 + tax , awfully hard to beat !:laugh: