Serious Sprocket Problem PLEASE HELP

DMR

Hey guys my rear sprocket has always been slightly mis-shapen so the chain varies from loose to tight with each revolution of the rear wheel but just tonight its gotten sooo bad that the chain goes from .5" of play to 3" of play, I leave friday morning for the biggest event of the year and I need a quick fix, it is possible to run the chain tight enough so that it works but Im worried about damaging the clutch bearing on my Horstman greased lightning or even worse snapping the crank? Should I just run it tight? Would a spring loaded chain tensioner help? PLEASE HELP ME I CANNOT MISS THIS EVENT ITS THE ONLY MINIBIKE EVENT OF THE YEAR!!!!

C9H13NO3

Hey guys my rear sprocket has always been slightly mis-shapen so the chain varies from loose to tight with each revolution of the rear wheel but just tonight its gotten sooo bad that the chain goes from .5" of play to 3" of play, I leave friday morning for the biggest event of the year and I need a quick fix, it is possible to run the chain tight enough so that it works but Im worried about damaging the clutch bearing on my Horstman greased lightning or even worse snapping the crank? Should I just run it tight? Would a spring loaded chain tensioner help? PLEASE HELP ME I CANNOT MISS THIS EVENT ITS THE ONLY MINIBIKE EVENT OF THE YEAR!!!!
Loosen the bolts on the sprocket up (with the chain still on the sprocket), and roll the bike a few feet, then tighten the bolts on the sprocket back up. See if this solves your problem, as the sprocket could just be misaligned in the bolt-holes.

Also, check the chain on another bike to eliminate that variable.

Your GL should be fine, and so should the crank.

Oldsalt

I'm thinking that wobble, side to side, has almost no effect on required chain length. Maybe remove the chain and clamp a pointer [cloths hanger wire?] to the frame and rotate the wheel. If the pointer says the hub/rim is running reasonably concentric then check the tips of the sprocket teeth. If there is a great deal more of 'run-out' there the sprocket is not centered with the axle. Unfortunately threaded fasteners [bolts] are not intended to resist high shear forces and can't always be expected to prevent the sprocket from moving. There should be a 'register' on the hub, or some other shoulder or accommodation that precludes the sprocket from shifting when under repeated loads. The clamp pressure of a few regular 5/6 bolts will not do it reliably.

toomanytoys

you just figured out why you need more than one mini if you want to do shit with it.
Wow, no wonder I keep buying them :-D I always have some that run!

Right now only 2 of mine are rideable, the other ones are apart for some project, paint, cleaning, new stuff....its like drugs!!

DMR

Hey guys I was able to get the tension suitable while the sprocket bolts were loose but as soon as I tightened them it would go back to the same problem, I'm thinking about just letting it run with a chain guide until after the event, any suggestions?

Hey guys I was able to get the tension suitable while the sprocket bolts were loose but as soon as I tightened them it would go back to the same problem, I'm thinking about just letting it run with a chain guide until after the event, any suggestions?
Maybe try replacing the bolts, they could have been bent ever so slightly. (Just an idea)

You could try and run it with a chain guide, but it may not perform the way it should.

Have you tried running it like it is now? Mine would run like that at sloooooow speeds. Minute I rapped on the throttle, chain jumped off the sprocket. You'll be worried the whole time your running it. I'd try to whip it now before you get to Austin.

i have this same problem... the holes in my sprocket are 1/2inch off causing my sprocket to wobble... someone drilled them wrong... every 180deg my chain gets super tight and the other 180 its loose as hell... time for a new sprocket...

side note:
if my sprocket is a 72 tooth will it hurt to buy a 60tooth? i don't realy care to have a wheely machine...

Oldsalt

I'm not surprised that the sprocket will slide around no matter how tight the bolts. For sure there needs to be a 'register' that fits into the hole in the center of the sprocket. If there is not one there to keep the sprocket centered there is no hope The flywheel, the drive shaft U joints, the half shafts, the alternator pulley, the water pump pulley, the brake drums and a LOT of other things on every auto have a register to ensure that the rotating parts run concentrically. I know I'm preaching, but there is no other way to make your sprocket work.

A chain guide? Like a tube [PVC pipe?] for the chain to run through? A spring loaded 'tensioner' of course will not work. And a non spring loaded tensioner will not be of help.

I believe the answer is some lathe time.