Shifter Minibike Build

Sweet ride, great job.

After being here for several days maybe a week I think I need to go find a beginners board. Everyone here seems to be a master fabricator, engine builder, MiniBike/GoKart experts.

Feeling shy now...

Beautiful bike.
Thank you for your comments! Actually, this is my first minibike build. I had never welded before or made anything from fiberglass but always wanted to do these things. I just started with what I already new and built on that. I already had a small (1/2 hp) bandsaw, a cheap Central Machinery Minilathe and a 1/2" drill press. This build has taken almost a year. With lots of patience, the modern day advantage of the internet (including the invaluable You Tube) and the help of the great people here at OldMiniBikes you may surprise yourself! Are you building a bike now or planning on it in the future?

Gary

I built one from a kit 5 years ago but was never really happy with it.
Recently dug it out and am fixing it up as I can, trying real hard not to take it to a small engine guy.

BTW outstanding first build...

More pics! More pics! More pics! :freakout:

:laugh:
I want to get these pics and video wrapped up but now I've got the seat and dash removed. I'm sending the tachometer back to the factory for evaluation as it doesn't work. I also need to run a couple of wires to a new ignition switch so that the engine will shut off when the ignition switch is turned off.

Okay; I'll cut you some slack. :wink: Since you're sending it back, consider upgrading to a 10k or 12k (I'd go 12) RPM tac; I'm sure that 125 is good for more than 8k RPM (probably good to around 9.5k; Lotus 25s I've seen pics of had/have 12k RPM tacs; why not go with a 12k tac?).

Okay; I'll cut you some slack. :wink: Since you're sending it back, consider upgrading to a 10k or 12k (I'd go 12) RPM tac; I'm sure that 125 is good for more than 8k RPM (probably good to around 9.5k; Lotus 25s I've seen pics of had/have 12k RPM tacs; why not go with a 12k tac?).
This bike is so fast already without going to high revs that I don't want or need a different tach.

Awesome build!

I am new to mini bikes but was just kicking around building something up with a shifter setup rather than a clutch/CVT...Your build may have swayed me!

Awesome build!

I am new to mini bikes but was just kicking around building something up with a shifter setup rather than a clutch/CVT...Your build may have swayed me!
Of course the manual transmission adds different complexity aspects to the build as compared to a CVT. Foot peg positioning becomes pretty critical and I was concerned whether I would get it right. Since the clutch lever ends up on the left handle bar a foot brake really makes sense, but not to say that you couldn't put the brake lever on the right side handle bar. I often looked at motorcycle and minibike pictures to figure things out. In the end I had to modify my original pedal designs to make it work, but for me it was worth the extra work. I just like to shift, whether it is a bike or my own personal car.

I got a lot of help from members here, especially jdog, otherwise known as Jason. Unfortunately he had some personal concerns to take care of and I haven't seen him on this site for quite awhile now. I really miss him and expect others here do, too. His beautiful shifter bike build is certainly worth taking a look at. I looked at it countless times. If you build a shifter bike I would be happy to answer any questions that I could help you with. One of the big things Jason did for me was to mail me the template for the engine mount. If you need it, I could mail you a copy of it.

I had to search like hell to find a manual transmission 125cc engine with electric start that was available in the U.S. The Loncin that I bought has proven to be good so far and it starts up right away. By the way, if I did it over again I would consider using an 80-110cc engine. I like the power of the 125cc but it seems a bit of overkill. I assume the 125cc engine is bigger overall than the smaller engines and its size makes it just that much harder to fit everything within the frame. Before I bought a frame I did a lot of research regarding size and ended up buying one from Bad Dog in San Diego. They were good to deal with and worked with me to build the frame and forks as I wished; just bare bones with the engine mounting plate loose. Good luck, and I hope you have as much fun as I did!