ShonkyDonkey's big(ish)-wheeled clone-powered home-brew bike

This build is inspired a little by jeep2003's mini big bike from scratch

I'm shooting for a bike that will hopefully get around okish in the snow.

Parts:
  • Picked up a harbor frieght engine a while ago when they were on sale and I had a coupon so it was under $90.
  • I got wheels, sprockets, and a jackshaft from bmikarts (not sure if I can say that here, feel free to edit if needed mods)
  • I got a bunch of new offcuts steel from work for 20cents a lb (Cheap). Cut up into conveniently sized 3' ish lengths. Also some of which were nicely pre-bent.
  • Handlebars, steering stem, brake caliper, throttle from craigslist. Cannibalized from a mini frame that I thought was better than it actually turned out to be, so I started a frame from scratch.

One photo attached to show where I am going with it. What you can see is mostly just tacked together rather poorly with my vintage arc welder.

You'll have to forgive the messy garage. I really should tidy that up.

Not sure how fast progress will be. I'm juggling a newborn, work, and stuff right now and just work on it when I get a chance.

Let me know if I forgot anything or anyone wants to know more.

-Alex.

CarPlayLB

Welcome aboard Alex...looks like a fun project. There is some very talented builders here (not me!) that will guide you.
As far as the BMI thing goes...we'll let ya slide this time! I buy most of my stuff from OMBW...but as a wise man once said, "Ya can't be everything, to everybody, all the time"

Keep them pics comin....and messy garage? I didn't see a mess!:smile:

I have the same wheel set and I'm kind of copying the tote gote design loosely. In addition to the link you posted board member WLB has built a couple of big wheel bikes that are super cool to me.

Looking great! That's going to be similar to my next project when I finish the current ones.
I was looking for the big tires... Thanks for the heads up on those.
Keep us posted!

Welcome aboard Alex...
Thanks CarPlayLB! OMBW do have a lot of nice things, but those wheels happened to be just what I needed, and just got it all at the same place to save on shipping.
I have the same wheel set....
I'll check out WLB's builds. More inspiration is always a good thing. Thanks!

Thanks!

Looks pretty good. I hadn't really thought too much about the seat, but suspension for it might not be a bad idea at all. I was hoping the big wheels should cushion the ride a bit, but I might work out something similar to what you drew. As for the axle, I'm planning on cutting a slot in the frame, and then welding a block to a bolt head and cross drilling it for the axle. Then I can tighten the bolt up to the back end of the frame with a washer to tension the chain.... I guess I'll see if it works out.

Thanks! I hope so. I also hope my poor welds don't break and injure me :)

nice design. look forward to the build.
Thanks, I'll try and keep working on it. I'd like to have it done before winter rolls around if I can.

Here's a pic with a bit more of the fame done anyway... and some more of my mess. I'm not sure how I feel about the kink in the frame where the uprights meet the spine, but I think the seat will hide it a bit.

Looks great man :thumbsup: Lot of people loved that build. Just make sure you gear it down enough with those big tires. Mine does pretty good without a torque converter just wish it had a bit more power to get the clutch hooked up sometimes. you should be good with the predator on there. if you bend the tubing at the back wheel to match the arc of the backbone it should get rid of that hump

Thanks guys. Hopefully I get my act together and get this thing built before the engine seizes from sitting there too long :)

So as you can see here, the wheel is too wide for the triple tree:

Somehow I decided that making new forks with a bend in them is going to be easier than a new top end :eek:ut: so here are the beginnings:

Maybe I should just make them solid and worry about the suspension when I actually have a running bike. :)

Cool looking ride right there!! Keep at it!! Nothing like building something from the ground up.......and then getting to ride it!!!! :devil2: