Side cover gasket on clone and torque

ajd

I opened the crank case cover, did some governor work and had to replace the dry rotted original paper gasket. I tried the permatex gasket, the black type for oil. Now when i torque the bolts down the engine will barely turn over... i think maybe the original gasket was thicker than the permatex one i made? has anyone ever dealt with this before and do you have a solution. Do i have to buy a replacement gasket or make the permatex one thicker?

thanks

rmm727

I'd go buy the thicker of the 2 gaskets you can purchase. I can't recall off hand what is what but I bought one one time and it was too thin and I had the same problem. I would look for places that specifically list the gasket for the particular brand you have. For instance Greyhound, BSP, 5 bolt blue HF, etc.

you can make your own out of a thicker cork or paper gasket material. you use a small ball peen hammer to cut the gasket. It's easy to do and in most cases makes a better gasket.

Stop right there before you do anything else....

You need the right gasket for your engine.
Your going to have to buy one and this is why.

The corect gasket will give you some end play on the engine.
It should be between ( guessing without my notes ) .003 and say .006.

Thats not much.....

Too much play and that crank will slop back and forth ( gasket to thick )
Too little play and the engine will bind.

Without going into great detail in other ways to adjust this using a stock gasket will generaly put you where you need to be unless you have built an clone from parts and in those cases sometimes you need to use two gaskets or add shims.

.003 to .006 is hard to measure.
But good rule of thumb is if you can just barely feel a tiny bit of in out movement your good.
If your not sure and the engine does not bind your probably still ok ( these engines expand and loosen up ).

If it feels tight trouble...
If it feels loose and you can see and feel movement I would get concerned and want to put a dial indicator on that and check.

Next throw away the factory bolts and buy some good new one from decent industrial fastener dealer.
GO for 8.8.

Torque again a guess is 17 foot pounds.....

Do the same with the head throw those away and get better ones too.

On the case cover use some hardened steel washers under the bolts and blue loctite.

Head use hardened steel washes and engine oil on the threads.

You should have no problems after.

ajd

Thanks for the information. Does any one know where i can get a replacement gasket for the jiangdong 5.5 hp clone. I have not found a good place to get it yet. Thanks

ajd

just to follow up... i purchased the ebay gasket kit and it was too thin. i went to my local auto parts store and looked at their gasket material. i bought the thickest one and used the ebay one as a template. then i put my homemade one on and it worked flawlessly! the thicker gasket was just the right amount. now i need to learn how to get my timing back on the engine... the cam fell out, the push rods and rockers fell out and my timing is all off, any suggestions? i've re-built briggs and techumseh's years ago but never an ohv type clone.... still a newly in this area. thanks

just to follow up... i purchased the ebay gasket kit and it was too thin. i went to my local auto parts store and looked at their gasket material. i bought the thickest one and used the ebay one as a template. then i put my homemade one on and it worked flawlessly! the thicker gasket was just the right amount. now i need to learn how to get my timing back on the engine... the cam fell out, the push rods and rockers fell out and my timing is all off, any suggestions? i've re-built briggs and techumseh's years ago but never an ohv type clone.... still a newly in this area. thanks
Honda Gx200: Part 1 - YouTube