Small Engine Repair Class

Started class in October and just passed the half way point. I know this is pretty basic stuff for a lot of you folks, but for the mechanically challenged like myself I am finding this informative and serving a purpose.

Here are the topics covered to date, and tell me in a reply what you experianced guys think??

Small engine parts and operation
Small engine lubrication systems
Small engine cooling systems
Small engine electrical systems
Small engine fuel systems
Engine disassembly
Engine rebuild part 1, 2
Engine reassembly
Outdoor power equipment transmission systems
Servicing lawn mowers
Servicing lawn tractors
Servicing garden tractors

Well thats it for now a lot of useful information and keeping my old mind active to boot. I also took a test on Kohler web site for a technician certification passed with a 84% Kohler is sending a certification card in the mail, this was interesting and added a little other challenge to what I have learned, any one can take this certification just log on to Kohler's web site it's located under one of the tabs you can click on there is study material also, which I recommend looking at and reading if you really want to pass this test with a real good grade, I may re-test after completion of my current course of study to check my progress and knowledge base again..

Sorry i got long winded, best of luck to all and happy hollidays, keep hammmering away at those projects :hammer: :grind: :shrug: :scooter:

MAX3

It looks good and covers most of topics.
I never attended any small engine training like this before and all learned by myself.
How much and how long this class last?

Neck

Growing up is optional
Is this an online class or classroom? Are you hoping to make a career out of this (seems I saw the statement "old mind") or career change? Or just personal improvement? I took Diesel mechanics out of high school and just applied what I learned there to the small stuff, an engine is an engine pretty much. The clearances just change for the size! Now, it's electronics that need to be kept up with.

KB2ROCKET

As a kid I signed up for the bellsaw small engine repair class then in highschool I took the two year horticulture mechanics class then worked for gravely tractor and lawn equipment stores and rental stores where I went to countless service schools then went to school another two years to learn to work on aircraft did that for a while now I build and test rocket engines and components for the space program it all started with small engines and I still love them and the learning never stops

joekd

Was talking to a guy I went to school with one day, both our kids have karts with 6.5 clones

We both took the same small engine repair class back in school, passed with great grades and can now honestly admit we didn't learn one damn thing :shrug:

Of course it could have something to do with the fact that we were teens back then and didn't pay attention to anything

KB2ROCKET

Was talking to a guy I went to school with one day, both our kids have karts with 6.5 clones

We both took the same small engine repair class back in school, passed with great grades and can now honestly admit we didn't learn one damn thing :shrug:

Of course it could have something to do with the fact that we were teens back then and didn't pay attention to anything
Yep me to I was to busy goofing off :)

pulling apart an engine, putting it back together and doing a bit of research on the internet will work just as well.

after doing that a bunch of times i have no problem starting with a pile of clone parts and turning them into a running engine. these things are pretty damn simple to work on. having the right tools helps a lot as well. i'd have a hell of a time doing any internal work with the tools and workspace we have here.

i'm going to have to hit up my old roommate when it's time to re-do my 6.5. the garage at that house is basically a shop. that's about the only thing i miss about living there. :laugh:

On line class, can take 12-14 months but go at your own pace I have completed 5 of 7 modules or 19 out of 25 sections. The informastion is easy to follow and straight forward layed out in simple terms.

It looks good and covers most of topics.
I never attended any small engine training like this before and all learned by myself.
How much and how long this class last?
Cost in minimal I am paying $44.00 Dollars a month for 14 months, or its cheaper if you can afford to pay outright, I dont remember how much that was. I started the class in October nad ahve completed 19 of 25 sections. I was given from 10-28-2010 to 06-25-2011 to finish by the guidelines, but the hours I work has allowed me to just keep going, and the instruction is written in easy to follow format. I am getting my money out of the classes for sure.

Keeping options open, Plan to move back east in a few years and may need to put this education to work making a few extra dollars, or even open up my own little service and repair shop.