Smell This

I just opened this fork seal package for my 1975 Yamaha RD350. Don't you love pulling a new rubber part out of the package? It's got that new bike smell. Do you know mimeograph? Race fuel? What other scents get your attention? I can think of a few that make me....well, you know.

Last edited:

maverick1

Living so close to Daytona, remember going to the races back in the late 60's and 70's and smelling the racing castor oil from those 2 strokes.

I just opened this fork seal package for my 1975 Yamaha RD350. Don't you love pulling a new rubber part out of the package? It's got that new bike smell. Do you know mimeograph? Race fuel? What other scents get your attention? I can think of a few that make me....well, you know.

Yes the smell of the Castor 2 stroke oil and Blue Sunoco 260 that I ran in my Bultaco back in the day.....

Back when I had D&D we sold a high test gas called Moon gas from Francisco racing fuels and all of Klotz racing fuels and additives. And Blendzall
All od these made smells that just was part of speed.
Steve

I build and fly model airplanes and back in the day, we used to use what was called Dope (a type of lacquer) for painting and hot fuel proofing balsa air frames and tissue covering. The fumes from that stuff were obnoxious! However, I always love(d) the smell of castor based model airplane fuel. Especially the old COX brand fuel from back in the 70's and 80's.

Shawn

Last edited:
That can of PB Blaster in the corner of you pict Tom!! Acetone, Two stoke burning in the morning, WD 40, chrome polish, Brasso, mesquite, hickory, apple wood smoke and all this stuff I had to smell this weekend!! My buddies 43rd Bday!!

Slow smoked pork shoulder!!

Fried chicken!!

Carnitas and chicharones!!

Mojo's!!

And homemade tortilla chips, salsa and guacamole!!

WrenchDad

Hoppe's 9 gun cleaning solvent, RTV Gasket material, The smell of Steak and french fries coming out of the exaust hood behind the resturant.

I build and fly model airplanes and back in the day, we used to use what was called Dope (a type of lacquer) for painting and hot fuel proofing balsa air frames and tissue covering. The fumes from that stuff were obnoxious!

Shawn
Wow. Dope was the most fantastic smelling product. The first airplane I ever silk covered was an Andrews A-Ray. I am truly surprised I am still alive with as much of that stuff that I inhaled over the years.. We won't talk about the current brain damage. Memories (what's left :laugh:)

Doc

Last edited:
Wow. Dope was the most fantastic smelling product. The first airplane I ever silk covered was an Andrews A-Ray. I am truly surprised I am still alive with as much of that stuff that I inhaled over the years.. We won't talk about the current brain damage. Memories (what's left :laugh:)

Doc
Dain Bramage? Nah, Dope never bothered me, I have clue no what talking your about! :stuart:
The A-Ray is a sweet airplane. Lou Andrews /AAMCO made some great kits. I'd love to have a kit or a set of plans for a Quick Ray 500.
BTW, do you still build and fly?

Shawn

Last edited: