So wrong

I love antique tools..........the feel of something old and the quality of metal used.......everything now is throw away......makes me sick too........

I am a collector of vintage Snap-On Tools. I have a pretty impressive collection. In some instances sculptures can be worth some money, however I don't see it here. It doesn't look like the wrenches that were used for the tarantula were worth any more than $3.00 each. But it's difficult to tell. Fascinating and a little bit ridiculous. Carry-on in brave fashion.

TT

This will make those of you who like both vintage tools and vintage small engines ill. Dick!...
Agreed. What an insult to that poor Clinton engine and those old tools.

But this reminded me of the beautiful metal work done by a former OldMiniBikes member.

Mark Capps, aka Yellowhand, was an incredibly creative and talented metal artist. He was also a super-friendly and helpful a board member who posted here frequently before he passed away in February, 2012. His handcrafted bikes and parts were just amazing to see.

Obituary for Mark W. Capps : Fox Funeral Home Nebraska

I'm not sure if it's because of the recent site rebuild or my own inadequacy, but I was not able to find many photos of his work. He did post lots of pictures. Here's one that I found of a steering head he was building. It's typical of the style and quality of his work. Maybe someone who's got a better handle on how this than I do can find a few more to share.

If you seen Ron Finch's sculptures out of old tools at Detroits Autorama....those are works of friggin art.
Yeah I just took a look at some of this stuff. It is amazing. Last summer I had met a guy selling some antique tools here in the city so I went up to his apartment over lunch. Turns out he is an artist named Chris Hausbeck and does amazing work like that. He sets aside things he finds that are collectable, which I found admirable. He said he had roughly 3,000 lbs of vintage wrenches in storage in Buffalo. I asked how does he find so much he said he drives all over upstate NY and goes to scrap yards. So in that respect at least he is making art out of stuff that would otherwise be melted down.

buckeye

Man, Tom, I agree.
Yellowhand was a amazing craftsman.
I had the pleasure of seeing the chain bike in person. Unreal work.