stains in Aluminum wheels?

markus

I thought i had read somewhere about some sort of solution thats good for soaking stuff like cast aluminum parts which help pull stains out?? anyone ever do anything like that? I want to say it was some household product that would possibly do it.

I have some wheels that I would like to keep "raw" or have them tumbled or something as they are going to be extremely hard to hand detail because of angles and corners. I only media blast, it doesn't tear them up and loose definition, but it also does not do much more than clean the surface and these wheels have some dark spots etc..

Markus,

Over-the-road tractor trailer washers use string alkaline detergents to clean aluminum, followed by a neutralizing rinse. One of many competitors in the field:

Aluminum Trailer Cleaner | Stainless Steel Cleaner | Aluminum Trailer Cleaning Products | Restore, Shine, Brighten | Boats, RVs, Aluminum Wheels, Pontoons

Big truck stops with truck washes or detailers will sometimes spot you some concentrated wash from a leftover 55 gallon drum. The equipment they use will not quite empty the drums, and what you can score from the barrel bottom is enough to clean a LOT of aluminum. Inside some truck stops they sell the stuff in small bottles. Carry a funnel, plastic bottles with tight lids, rags, and rubber gloves if going for the barrel draining. I have scored maybe a quart of each in one stop.

Tumbling works great; but if you do that, don't use anything more aggressive than that ground corn cob stuff. Keep in mind, these are cast wheels, consequently, tumbling with anything harder could remove too much metal and potentially expose some small "voids" that could be lying just under the surface. Don't ask me how I know this. :doah:

I just redid my wheels. I sand blasted them lightly and then sprayed clear over them. They turned out pretty good. I wanted to polish mine too but it looked way too hard. You may want to use a more abrasive media, mine were stained really bad but the sand brought them back. there are pics of the before and after in my arco build.

I just redid my wheels. I sand blasted them lightly and then sprayed clear over them. They turned out pretty good. I wanted to polish mine too but it looked way too hard. You may want to use a more abrasive media, mine were stained really bad but the sand brought them back. there are pics of the before and after in my arco build.
Sandblasting works well but you lose the original coloring...They are much more grey if you sand blast and clear coat...But it does work and looks good. If you want that "factory" look...soda blast or clean them with a solution.

Careful with sand blasting. Had a guy do mine here and they came back like sandpaper. Then I went at them with my own (finer) sandpaper. Sore thumbs and blisters later, I managed to get them acceptable again. Never again will I have cast rims sandblasted.

I have actually taken a large drill bit and a ball of steel wool. Turn on the drill and let the bit grab the ball of steel wool and let it wrap around the bit. About the size of a tennis ball.
Then simply high speed buff the wheel. Just be careful and dont expose the bit,,,, let the steel wool ball spin in all the hard to reach areas.
Should buff out nicely!

Careful with sand blasting. Had a guy do mine here and they came back like sandpaper. Then I went at them with my own (finer) sandpaper. Sore thumbs and blisters later, I managed to get them acceptable again. Never again will I have cast rims sandblasted.
If you want to blast them do not use sand or a real aggressive agent. bead blasting works great on Auminum.
Here is a manifold that was bead blasted. It is as cast and is an old late 60's manifold.

The problem with sandblasting or bead blasting etc is that it "cuts" into the metal and then you have to clear coat it or it'll eventually rust...whereas if you use SODA blasting it doesn't harm the metal and there is no need to coat it with anything...It simply leaves it with the factory look...BUT if your wheels are rusty, SODA will not work that well...only on mild rust.

Here is a direct comparison...Sand Blast vs. Soda Blast. The sand blasted wheel is clear coated and is "cleaner" because it takes the surface metal off....BUT if your goal is the "stock" or "factory" look then SODA blasting is much closer. It's much less abrasive, I think 2 or 3 on the mohn's scale (sp?) vs. a 7 for sand blasting. Personally I prefer the factory look better...but to each their own and of course $$ is factor as well...Soda is much more expensive.

markus

Markus, have you tried an automotive type etching Mag cleaner? I use the Eagle one stuff and it works wonders on aluminum:shrug:
I've honestly never used any type of chemical cleaners on any of the wheels I have redone, when I get back home I'll try some cleaners on them and see what happens.

thanks

Use it on a scrap wheel to get the feel of it. I'ts an acid, so use gloves and eye protection.
When you spray it on, it immediately turns white and starts to fizz. The longer it stays the more it does, but don't let it dry. Let it sit a bit then hose it off. Sometimes on really stained aluminum I use a green Scotch Brite pad to get the bad spots. Check out this Gilson/Allis wheel I did a while back..

Before:

After:

Last edited: