still problems setting valve lash

When I tighten my rocker arms down to .002 or even 0 cold lash the pushrods are super loose on the other end. Are my pushrods too short, or is there something else I need to do? I have a predator with a gx160 head, .016 head gasket, black mamba cam, 26 lb springs, lash caps, burris guide plate, reinforced stock rockers. Stock length cm push rods. Can I keep tightening on the rocker arm until the I can still twist the pushrods easy, no way to fit any feeler gauge between the lash cap and rocker then.

I think your pushrods might be the wrong length....see if the valve spring retainer is hitting the rocker arm...If so you need longer push rods or different locks.

trinik7597

The rockers aren't coming close to the retainers. The only place they touch is on the lash caps against the rocker arms. Anymore thoughts?
you sure you are set up right ?? what kind of retainers and locks are you using that you still have lash caps ?? what stock length rods predator or honda ?

Predator length pushrods. I think 5.22 is what Howards said I needed. The head is the nrracing ported gx200 head with aluminum retainers, nr said it'll work best with lash caps. Head is cut .050. Any info will be appreciated.

If you set the lash to .002 how can the pushrods be super loose? To me super loose means they are wobbling around. If you just mean they can spin freely then that is not super loose but is normal. If you have .002 between rocker tip and lash cap at that point with feeler gauge then try inserting a .003 in between rocker and lash cap at that point the pushrod should have not play. (-.001 clearance)

If I tighten the nut for the rocker where I can't fit anything between it and the lash cap, I can move pushrod up and down what feels like .050 or more.

Last edited:
Tried the stock predator rocker arms and they fit right on the pushrods. The reinforced sit different on the rocker studs and don't pivot right. The stock predator rockers set at 0 lash has a little play left to right on the valve end, is this fine? Also, how good do the stock rockers hold up to high rpms and 26lb springs?

Ran it, runs perfect. Starts on the first pull with the choke on and idles perfect as soon as you turn the choke off. Revs beautiful, and shut it off 3 or 4 times and always started back with ease and without jerking my hand off. I know the problem was the rockers and where they are double walled where the pivot was causing a problem. What kind of rockers do y'all recommend, stock gx rockers any good?

Kind of sounds like the renforced rocker slot is too short and it is binding on the rocker stud. At least you know where your issue is. I run 26lb springs but never used the regular rockers I have always used raceseng rockers or the champion rockers.

What about the billet rockers nr sells in 1.2 and 1.3 ratio. Think the 1.2's would be fine, what about pushrods, I'd like to run the 5.2 cm that I have now. Thanks guys

I'am running the billet 1.3 's that NR sells they are great , there one heavy duty rocker for sure . And the champions that OLE 4 suggested I have those and there bullet proof , but they are just 1:0 .1

The champions you sent the link for, will the studs fit on a real gx head or only clones? That is a heck of a deal, and bm lasting is not far from me. y'all really don't know how much I appreciate the help.

trinik7597

the champions will fit no problem on a real honda casting . might just have to indent the inner part of the valve cover for clearance :thumbsup: