Stock Rod Strength

JayQuan

I know this topic has been covered alot but after searching through the forum I didnt find the answer I was looking for. If I remove the gov in my clone what are the chances of the stock rod actually failing? I was reading about how the load capacity on the motor plays a big role on how many rpm's it can handle. Im light 140lbs and mostly ride my minibike on the dirt so it never revs that high anyways, my briggs that is (maybe 5g max), my briggs never had any trouble in that rpm range on the stock rod with no govenor, and my dirtbike motors have cast rods and they rev to like 10,000 rpm's with no problems, so I guess what im asking is if Im going to ride the clone between 4000 and 5000 rpm (it wouldnt be for very long since I have to slow down alot) is it worth it to get a billet rod? is it going to make that big of a difference if I dont? Sorry for rambling on for so long, any help is appreciated thanks. :thumbsup:

JayQuan

If I get the billet rod I dont want to buy a flat top piston, where can I get new circlips for the stock piston?, or have you reused the originals on a dirt bike piston it is a big no no to reuse them. Also how do you remove the retainers for the valve springs? Thanks again

you can remove the retainers by just pushing down on the spring. it hardly takes any effort with the stock ones. if you're doing it with the head still on, fill the cylinder with some rope so you don't drop the valve.

you install them the same way.when you take them out just push down and over.same as installing,also while they are out.think about installing 18lb valve springs,they are VERY cheap and there is nothing to it. Go to AGK.com they have all the infor you need,I paid $10 for the springs shipped,this way you will have no valve float.and you can rev higher if you want with no worries:thumbsup: here is the link

Affordable Go Karts - Home page - AGK - http://www.affordablegokarts.com

find him in the member search,and shoot him a private message,I think he has different things with the kit,up to even comes with the motor:thumbsup:

does anyone know where I can find a write up with pictures on how to remove the retainers because Im still confused. I tried pushing up the retainers on my briggs with my hands to get the sprigs off but couldnt so I tried with a screwdriver and broke the retainer in half. I really want to know how to get them off right so I dont break the retainers on my clone.

does anyone know where I can find a write up with pictures on how to remove the retainers because Im still confused. I tried pushing up the retainers on my briggs with my hands to get the sprigs off but couldnt so I tried with a screwdriver and broke the retainer in half. I really want to know how to get them off right so I dont break the retainers on my clone.
it's easy to do on a clone.

have you had the valve cover off yet? what are you doing to the motor?

I havent torn anything apart yet I dont have any parts.

heres a list of what I want to do:
remove gov
billet rod
rejet carb (I was going to get a mikuni but Im going to get the billet rod instead)
unhook all the CARB junk
vent tube breather kit
18lb valve springs
remove the stock tank (Im going to use an xr50 gas tank)
and a DIY candy cane header

Is it worth it to get the gx140 emulsion tube? has any one noticed a dramatic change on bottom end power?

Thanks

So I stripped all of the CARB :censure: off my motor today and istalled it. I had to take the tank off because the gas cap would not cear my frame, but thats ok it was ugly anyways. I didnt realize just how torquey the clone motors were until the gov kicks in (i think I can run faster than the bike at that point), Im kinda scared to take the govenor off I dont know if my skinny but can hang on. does the power even out a little without the govenor? also I didnt disconnect the the low oil sensor and was throwing the minibike way sideways and rode it up some hills and my driveway with no problems at all the bike didnt sputter or want to die it just kept truckin so I left it alone. I will obviously get rid of it anyways when I get a billet rod. Thanks I just wanted to share my new happiness its nice to have a motor that starts first pull and is fresh.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Riding with the govenor still connected will feel like it's pulling you back. Once you remove it the motor will feel like it flattens out on top end.