Stoner tire/gearing thread.

cxbra

If you add smaller tires (than stock) will it raise or lower your gear ratio. It seems like an easy question off the bat (larger tires = more speed). I know that on a skateboard bigger wheels make a big difference downhill. But see, a skateboard isnt limited by factors such as engine RPM (biggest one) and is able to in a sence "rev" as high as it wants (the wheel bearings being the only factor). Yes, I have been smoking this morning :wink:

So is it the same for the minibike? Bigger wheels = lower gear ratio (higher top speed)?

Neck

Growing up is optional
Hey! dont bogart! gear ratio remains the same, distance per crankshaft revolution goes up though.

yes.

bigger wheels = slower acceleration but more top speed. a larger tire covers more ground per revolution.

edit: like posted before, it doesn't actually change your gear ratio. it's like "changing" your gear ratio though.

cxbra

yes.

bigger wheels = slower acceleration but more top speed. a larger tire covers more ground per revolution.

edit: like posted before, it doesn't actually change your gear ratio. it's like "changing" your gear ratio though.
So the tires basically take place of what a final drive ratio would do in a car transmission. I understand. The gear ratio itself is gear ratio, only gears (hahah, duh). So I take it a dramatic tire size change wouldnt change the mph more than 1-2 mph (lower or higher)?

Neck

Growing up is optional
The tires are just part of the equasion, a dramatic change in tire size like how much? sure that will slow you down, and you can do the math to find out just how much. A dramatic change bigger will make it faster if you have the horse power to pull it.

1stlegendtx

yes.

This is exactly wright. When my kids ran the "Kid Kart class" in Karting the rules said you could not change the gears or tire brand or size. What I did to get more top end was use the narrowest wheels I could find and than stretch the tires to make them taller. The difference was there but not easily noticeable. No one was the wiser and we won most of the time (barring wrecks).:devil2: