stop nuts from falling off due to vibration

Just got tired of losing fine thread nuts vibrating off and hunting down new ones no matter how tight even using lock washer? Put a piece of shrink tubing on end of bolt after puting nut on..it may loosen but wont fall off..thought I'd share tip i thought of yesterday :thumbsup: funny title eh..:biggrin:

Have you ever tried buying locknuts ? Nylon insert, Stover gr.B , two-way ,flexloc they all come in half height equal to a jam nut..simple way to go.

i used GE poly caulk.

dont use silicon

its strong enough to hold lug nuts on my old srt4 lol. wheels kept coming loose, this stopped it.

nut will come off easy with socket but vibration wont bothe it, ull have to reapply when u put back on.
this was first thing i did when i got my colman out the box

Glue????? Caulk???????? Really guys? That's a band aide on a knife wound...

This is what Loctite is made for. Use Blue and never ever have a nut vibrate loose again.... Use Red if you aren't going to take it apart again. You have to use heat to break Red Loctite. If you are securing really small stuff use Green Loctite.

Lock nuts would be a good alternative as well. Just don't reuse them...

Doug

This is what Loctite is made for. Use Blue and never ever have a nut vibrate loose again.... Use Red if you aren't going to take it apart again. You have to use heat to break Red Loctite. If you are securing really small stuff use Green Loctite.

Doug
I've never had blue locktight work for me on a nut..a bolt into a plate yes :shrug:

Do they sell nylon insert nuts in fine thread?
Yes Sir,, and you can get all metal ones too in several different styles and heights. Google "2 way locknut". "Flex loc " "Stover gr.b"
I once sold a customer a 7/8-14 Hex pin loc nut that goes on but will never come off without cutting it off ! Lol
I personally like the "nte" style which is 1/2 height like a jam nut. I keep several sizes and pitches in my workshop.

Raskin....What bolts/nuts specifically are you finding that are loosening up? Mini bike related? Just wondering.
Mainly stuff like custom brackets for seat pans,chain guards ..fenders..not all at once just here and there..my supply of nuts with nylon inserts which i use everwhere is gone and i don't go to town much..:laugh: and a says to myself i will use what i got and saw the shrink tubing package on my bench..yeah and the clone engines shake everything loose on a minibike..i want fine thread nylon insert ones

Doug
We use this at work by the quart so of course you know I have some at home :thumbsup:
TDS | MSDS | Hernon manufacturing