Streached Alex-Reyn With Big Block

From one welder to another, Oldsalt that is coming out sweet! I can't wait to get my father-son Alexander-Reynolds project done for the spring. Love the color of the paint.That mini is smooth, just like a TIG root pass on a chrome-moly 6" open butt pipe. KUDO'S Oldsalt!!

Together we stand-Divided we fall!

Oldsalt

That thing looks great! I wish I could weld and fab like that.
You can. Collect some tools and try everything at least once. It will take some time to get all the tools you want but not much time to learn to use them effectively. The only people that can't are the folks that really don't want to.

Great build Old Salt and good advice. I found a good deal on a Smithy, and I am learning to make parts. It is surprising that these lightly used tools sell for such little money. I learn from you and others on this site. The bike I am working on shows improvement on the home made parts. I am glad I am not the only grown up that plays with mini bikes.

Hi Lon : WOW I never would of thought about using Brown for a color choice but it looks real nice. I have always been a Blue person and Red for a second choice but that Brown just pops. Great work can't wait to see the rest done. Steve :scooter:

killer re-vive OS! Always good to see an old mini brought back to life. Kinda like Frankenstein...You build it..an it takes on a personality of it's own. I'd like to see that old BIG BORE BIG BLOCK go!

Seeya

Last edited:

Oldsalt

The stretched frame/big block project is now complete. However, due to a couple of feet of snow there has not been a test ride. So anything could happen. I'm fully satisfied with the outcome, it's what I was aiming for. The bike has been altered but still retains the original bars, fenders, tank and most importantly the strange Alexander-Reynolds wheels. Again, if the frame had not been so badly mangled it would not have been subjected to the 4" stretch and 1-1/2" heigth increase.

that bike is sweet nice job you are a fabricating mastermindhow did you bring the old chrome back so nice that thing looked like a total basket case now its sparkling like a gem

Oldsalt

Thanks for the kind words. Anyone can do this work if they really want to and have bothered to collect up some tools. The aluminum guards are aluminum and were easily polished. I have a plating set-up in the basement [I'm not married]. Can chrome things but it is a lot easier to just use nickle. Not hard to do. This Alex-Reyn was truely trashed but it gave me the opportunity to chop up a frame and install a large engine.

Oldsalt

What size is that tecumseh?

It's an HH60. Six HP. An "XTRA LIFE" Cast Iron with a 1" shaft. Pretty hurky and when it was new a rather expensive motor. I used it for these reasons: One is that it's nearly new, only a few hours running time on a lot sweeper. Another is that it was free. [I fixed a mini for a friend]. Also, I was given a Comet 30 vari-speed drive that requires an engine with a 1" shaft [A friend gave it to me when I found it in the back seat of a 51 Merc he bought]. I still have not rode the bike. The snow is just too deep.

delray

nice new ride oldsalt:thumbsup:
i see last week on the weather channel, some place in your state got 4-6ft of snow in 10 days:doah:
lock in the hubs.......:scooter:

Oldsalt

Done Deal

Finally got some good weather and a little time to tie up the last loose ends on this project. The carb was giving problems at first but a good cleaning solved that. Made a few laps around the block until I figgered the locals couldn't take much more. But the straight pipe isn't as loud as I expected even at full song. A very pleasent machine to ride. The big block engine supplies plenty of torque for the Comet 30 drive system.