street legal db30

its not safe at all. trust me i ride small mopeds that are way faster then the db even with the 6.5hp clones its just not safe on a 45mph zone i was doing 50 and was cut off and almost hit the car

cxbra

Has anyone successfully licensed one of these for the street? If so, what approach did you take?
Cant be done. In the manual it says this is a non-registerable, offroad vehicle (not on public roads, only private land). I've seen threads about people trying to get around this, but it cant be done in America for liability and insurance purposes.

My advice would be to get a go-ped and mod that thing up if you want to run on the streets along side of cops. I've seen a couple while on my DB and I just hopped off and started walking the bike (after they saw me riding it haha) and they just smirked and kept going. I had one chase me about 4 months ago, but I he got ditched to say the least (right turn, right turn, left turn, right turn.. freedom!).

the most "legal" i've seen one of these is with a green sticker. it was on CL and the lady told me how they got it done. it basically came down to she got lucky when dealing with the DMV people.

oldsledz i sold they bike a long time ago but i rode it around for 2 months that way ypsi cops see me and that iam white and leave me alone. hell i passed a cop at 45 in a 25 and he acted like he didnt see me :stuart:

you mite be able to do. it will depend on the dmv and dot reg where you live . a friend of mine years ago took a Yamaha 250 trials witch is a old moto cross bike and got it street legal . now to do it he had to rewire the whole bike put turn lights ,break lights, horn and a plate holder on it .then he had to have it dot inspected to see if it was legal , and retitled it as a custom . i have also read that some one took a 51 50 mini and got it street legal . i would check in to custom motor cycles and see if you can slip it in as one ,good luck

cxbra

Yeah, the Kikker 5150 can prob. get registered somehow as a custom vehicle. Not the DB30 though..

I know for sure when a vehicle is given the "non-registerable vehicle" tag from the factory that means no ifs ands or but's. When the factory deems the vehicle offroad only, its offroad only (hense, not on public roads). You can get all the green stickers in the world from the DMV, if they found out the mistake they have been making you will be screwed. And the DMV has been getting better about checking into what things really are.

Look at all the Skylike GTR guys that are getting letters in the mail saying that their car (though registered to the state) is not legal by federal laws. The car hasnt been DOT tested in this country, its illegal by default. Many of the Skylilne guys thought they got threw a loophole, they shipped their cars over in pieces, then registered the Skylines as "custom vehicles". Well the DMV found out these "custom vehicles" are actually production cars that have been DOT tested in other countries, but not the US.. so many of the GTR guys got letters to surrender their vehicles to the govt within 60 days of the notice!!!

You can have all the registration tags in the world, if a cop doesnt think its normal for a mini-bike to be on the streets he will pull you over.. then maybe impound your bike. Even if he believes its "legal", you'll still be getting pulled over at every traffic light...:hammer:

I know that if you :grind: the serial numbers off and tell them you built the bike here in California they will give you a Custom title but its only for off road. Since the DB is under height, according to the 2009 California Highway Patrol regulations, to be on the street. (one of the guys here is trying to get it legal off road tags so he can use it at PISMO which is what is required for riding on the beach.)

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Yeah, the Kikker 5150 can prob. get registered somehow as a custom vehicle. Not the DB30 though..

I know for sure when a vehicle is given the "non-registerable vehicle" tag from the factory that means no ifs ands or but's. When the factory deems the vehicle offroad only, its offroad only (hense, not on public roads). You can get all the green stickers in the world from the DMV, if they found out the mistake they have been making you will be screwed. And the DMV has been getting better about checking into what things really are.

Look at all the Skylike GTR guys that are getting letters in the mail saying that their car (though registered to the state) is not legal by federal laws. The car hasnt been DOT tested in this country, its illegal by default. Many of the Skylilne guys thought they got threw a loophole, they shipped their cars over in pieces, then registered the Skylines as "custom vehicles". Well the DMV found out these "custom vehicles" are actually production cars that have been DOT tested in other countries, but not the US.. so many of the GTR guys got letters to surrender their vehicles to the govt within 60 days of the notice!!!

You can have all the registration tags in the world, if a cop doesnt think its normal for a mini-bike to be on the streets he will pull you over.. then maybe impound your bike. Even if he believes its "legal", you'll still be getting pulled over at every traffic light...:hammer:
The Kicker 5150 can be registured here in Washingtion, two have been assembled in my hobby shop by friends and no problems. Another I know about was registured in Oregon. But you have to jump through some hoops like Certificates of Origen and etc.

As for a DB30? No way for the reasons you delineated above. As I said in another post; If you want to have street legal minibike it will be necessary to acquire a vintage mini that, when manufactured way back when, was at least capable of being registured and licensened. Some sold 'lighting kits' and etc. that made them [way back then] legal for the street. I have a mini thusly described that is now registured in the great state of Washington for the street. The state DMV always has a list of vehicles ever produced that were licensenable at one time. You cannot be refused registration if you have a bill of sale for one of these machines. Makes no difference if it's a 36 Ford or a mini made in the 50s. The old stuff is 'grandfatherd' in. For new stuff like a DB? Fraud would be the only way. In other words, buy an old 110 cc motorcycle and skip on down to DMV and registure it and then slap the plates on a DB. Confinscation and a big felony fine or worse. It is usually a mistake to assume the lawmen are stupid.

ok so it sounds like it cant be done. If it can be its not worth the trouble. However. if the dmv gives you tags and gives you the OK, how can a cop yell at you for it? If an insurance company is covering it, and the dmv gave you plates and stickers, no cop, anywhere can say "that doesnt look legal, to the pound we go."