Swap used GX160 flat top piston in Predator 212?

DANP

Is it possible? I am just curious because I read the bore size was the same. This is me just trying to be cheap and not spend money on a new one.

i dont believe the bore size is the same between the two... however Tim Iskyderian has recently listed a predator flat top piston kit on his site and for $25, not bad!

STORE

Last edited:
i saw somewhere the bore for the gx160 was 68 mm... the bore on the predator is approx 70mm... i have a gx160 in the garage that i may sell, didnt know people run em, so i just let it sit

trinik7597

i saw somewhere the bore for the gx160 was 68 mm... the bore on the predator is approx 70mm... i have a gx160 in the garage that i may sell, didnt know people run em, so i just let it sit
i have both a gx160 and predator both have the same minor upgrades the gx160 is a much better engine jmo :thumbsup:

DANP

Is there a major difference between the plain old predator flat top and piston and a wiseco? Or are you just paying for a name brand?

Is there a major difference between the plain old predator flat top and piston and a wiseco? Or are you just paying for a name brand?
i would think the wiseco is stronger... i used the shorter piston, with the longer rod... but if i hd to do again, i would have increased bore size etc or just used the stock flat top...

The Predator stock flat top is a cast piston, but its a pretty good piece IMO, but the Wiseco is forged, and has a two ring design..its for racing.

The longer rod gives you a little less side loading on the power stroke and a bit more dwell time at TDC for better combustion.

The two ring design race piston offers less drag.

The OEM piston however was designed to have more legs under it for the long haul.
It will stay sealed up longer than the race piston all things being equal ( and its cheap )

Bringing up an older thread because I did a search :)

I seem to have some "noise" like a chatter when I took the plug out of my non hemi pred with 40 thou longer rod with hemi piston.

It almost sounds like a knock when idling, or goes away when I Rev it.

I'm worried I'll lose a motor this weekend at the races. :-\

Cause this one had some info already in it on the matter. I'm a fan of the search function.
Most forum members get a lil aggravated when the same topic has 101 threads.

I found the problem. I didn't lap the flywheel enough to the crank.
Spent a little while more on it and it's better.